Safe Mobo and Hd Temps, Relying on Heatsink Alone?

Discussion in 'IBM' started by Veli-Pekka Tätilä, Sep 20, 2007.

  1. Hi,
    Hardware newbie Qs on component temperatures.

    Specs:

    I'm running a very quiet audio PC with an AMD 64 5200+ (cool and quiet
    and speed fan) on an Asus M2V Mobo, a passive Ati X300 video card, 4 GB
    800 MHz RAM (3.5 GB visible after MIO), a SATA2 HD (acoustical
    management) and USB-audio and MIDI hardware. The case is by Antec. The
    machine runs very quietly having had the boxed stock cooler changed to a
    Scythe Ninja Mini.

    Questions:

    The heatsink appears to be wonderfully good in that even if I set the
    CPU fan to 0 percent the temps are about 40 +/-2 for the CPU, HD and
    Mobo in normal operation after hours of use. Is this too good to be
    true, i.e. does it make sense to keep the NInja Mini completely disabled
    relying on the heatsink alone? As a bit of a hack, I've got the speed
    fan CPU cooler limits at 0 % to 0 % and the maximum temp at 45 so the
    CPU fan only kicks in, should the machine start heating seriously. I
    suppose this kind of operation would be supported in the BIOS, too, but
    have yet to look.

    I'm not worried about the CPU since my old athlon would happily run at
    60 C and besides most of my usage is light: inet stuff, programming,
    MIDI sequencing with external hardware and the occasional soft synth or
    emulated DOS game. Howabout the HD and Mobo temps, though, what is
    normal for them? I have Googled plenty but haven't found any very good
    sources so far. I recall HDD health nagging on my previous machine when
    the HD temp was over 50, but it isnt on this machine, even in extensive
    disk searching. HOwabout mother boards, one would think that 40 C isn't
    bad at all but thought I'd ask just to be on the safe side.

    Feel free to point me to a suitable FAQ if there's one, too. I'm sure
    questions like these get asked quite often, actually. Googling brought
    up several forum posts on the subject but there were none that could
    give definitive ansers to HD and Mobo temps.

    Any help appreciated.

    --
    With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä ()
    http://www.student.oulu.fi/~vtatila