    Am I right in thinking their is a chance to *softmod* the 9800Se into a
    9800? (or Pro even?)

    Thanks for any feedback, I seem to have a small business growing now :p

    Wayne Youngman, Jan 27, 2004

  2. Hi,

    oops already I have seen that the 128MB version of the 9600XT has faster
    memory! (but less of it).

    9600XT 128MB - 325MHz Memory (650DDR) - Core 500MHz (? pipelines) 128bit
    9600XT 256MB - 290MHz Memory (580DDR) - Core 500MHz (? pipelines) 128bit?

    9800 128MB - 290MHz Memory (580DDR) - Core 325MHz (8 pipelines) 256bit
    9800SE 128MB - 290MHz Memory (580DDR) - Core 325MHz (4 pipelines) ???bit?

    Can you help fill the gaps please?

    Wayne Youngman, Jan 27, 2004

  3. Wayne Youngman

    Tomg Guest

    The ATI website has a list of all of their video cards and the differences
    between them - see link below.

    http://apps.ati.com/ATIcompare/

    Regards,
    Tom

    Tomg, Jan 27, 2004
  4. Wayne Youngman

    Darthy Guest

    Read this;

    http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html

    Out of the box, the 9800se is slower usually... but if the softmod
    works, it'll be faster.... if not, you've paid the same for a slower
    card.

    shanec, Jan 27, 2004
  6. Don't buy an ATI 9600XT based video controller unless it is a genuine retail
    ATI 9600XT, as most other "builders" that are using the ATI 9600XT chipset
    have not fully followed the ATI reference design, used old PCB's that were
    "in stock"
    to rush product out for Christmas holiday, and have not enabled the ATI
    "OVERDRIVE"
    feature.

    I too was "duped'" by C.P.Technology Co., Ltd. aka/dba in United States as
    Power Color USA Corp. in purchasing a R96A-C3T in a new system I had built
    by Future Technologies International, Inc. (FTI), Great Neck, NY about two
    weeks ago, who is an "authorized" distributor/reseller" Power Color
    products.

    The cost to me between the Power Color R96A-C3T and a genuine retail ATI
    9600XT was less than five dollars, but I went ahead with the Power Color
    Product since it seemed to have a better bundle. I was not aware that there
    were any differences in the cards, as Future Technologies International,
    Inc. (FTI) web site (as do most other resellers) still to this day state the
    fact that the Power Color R96A-C3T has "OVERDRIVE", as does C.P.Technology
    Co., Ltd. Main web site, only in the last week has the Power Color USA Corp.
    web site quietly removed the statement about the Power Color R96A-C3T having
    'OVERDRIVE" ability.

    Timothy T. Doran, Feb 8, 2004