'Sapphire' vs ATI 'Proper' - significant differences? Worth Considering (Sapphire)???

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Hammer Toe, Nov 3, 2003.

  1. Hammer Toe

    Hammer Toe Guest

    I'm was considering upgrading to a new All-In-Wonder Card
    (specifically the ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 Pro) when I became aware, for
    the first time, of a line from/called 'Sapphire' and was wondering if
    anyone was aware and could be so kind as to attempt to summarize the
    DIFFERENCES (hardware, software and 'support') between them, pros and
    cons of buying one specific card/brand over the other, etc.

    Are (comparable) cards identical, essentially identical, or 'less'.

    More importantly, what about SOFTWARE?

    In the case of All-In-Wonder cards for example, what does one get in
    terms of Multimedia Center software?

    a) Identical To ATI's MM software?
    b) Something good/very simillar?
    c) Other?

    What about Support/Software+Driver Upgrades?
    Anyone have an opinion on how the two compare?

    Overall, assuming that a comparable 'Sapphire' All-In-Wonder product
    was available and cost less than the comparable ATI version, would one
    be advised to still 'pay extra' for the ATI Product and why?

    TIA.

    Hammer Toe, Nov 3, 2003

  2. Hammer Toe

    Skid Guest

    Sapphire is one of the partners that manufactures cards for ATI, and they
    sell them cheaper under their own brand name. Some models are identical to
    the ATI hardware, some are not.

    I've used several Sapphire cards and consider them excellent values. They
    use standard ATI drivers. If all you want is a card that will play DVD
    movies and games on a TV set, they're perfect.

    However, with an AIW the software package is important. Make sure you know
    what you are getting. There are plenty of other DVD players, but the
    capture/tuner software is key if you plan to use those functions.

    If an AIW is what you need, for a home-theater PC for instance, I'd get an
    ATI.

    Read some reviews of the AIW and see how many of the multimedia features you
    truly need and want. They are complex overkill for some, vital necessities
    for others.

    Skid, Nov 3, 2003

  3. Hammer Toe

    Jopo75 Guest

    PLEASE stay away from Sapphire: they generally sucks, their implemenation
    sucks and I wonder if they follow Ati's strict guidelines and rules for
    thermal solutions: heatsink too heavy and not properly placed risks to
    damage the open die beneath!!
    See my post above.
    I repeat: stay away.
    Try some other different makes such Gigabyte or go nVidias (equally fast and
    much more better built)

    Jopo75, Nov 10, 2003
  4. Hammer Toe

    Strontium Guest

    -
    Jopo75 stood up at show-n-tell, in R6Srb.2341$, and
    Yeah, go get an nVidia. So long, sucker.

    Strontium, Nov 10, 2003
  5. Hammer Toe

    Sparrow Guest

    Just so you know, the Built by Ati is actually built by Sapphire. Ati
    manufactures the gpu's only and for their "Built by Ati" uses Sapphire as a
    subcontractor. Alternatively, Sapphire also has their own brand.

    Sparrow, Nov 10, 2003
  6. Hammer Toe

    Jopo75 Guest

    Just so you know, the Built by Ati is actually built by Sapphire. Ati
    I know.
    What I was wondering about is if Sapphire follow Ati's guidelines for
    thermal (and mechanical solutions) or not.
    I have the impression that Sapphire's cards are built cheaper that Ati's
    reference ones.

    Jopo75, Nov 10, 2003
  7. Hammer Toe

    Jopo75 Guest

    Yeah, go get an nVidia. So long, sucker.
    Actually you don't know what I'm talking about!
    And I'm speaking of build quality.

    Jopo75, Nov 10, 2003
  8. Hammer Toe

    Jopo75 Guest

    Yeah, go get an nVidia. So long, sucker.
    Yeah, choose Ati, dupe.

    Jopo75, Nov 10, 2003
  9. Hammer Toe

    J.Clarke Guest

    Well, since the article you link is about a PowerColor board and not a
    Sapphire, I am a bit puzzled as to what its relevance might be.

    J.Clarke, Nov 10, 2003
  10. Hammer Toe

    Strontium Guest

    I read your posts, dumb-ass. You have no clue.

    -
    Jopo75 stood up at show-n-tell, in EvUrb.3226$, and

    Strontium, Nov 11, 2003
  11. Hammer Toe

    Strontium Guest

    Enjoy 'no' AF or FSAA, at playable framerates.

    -
    Jopo75 stood up at show-n-tell, in xHUrb.3309$, and

    Strontium, Nov 11, 2003
  12. Hammer Toe

    Jopo75 Guest

    I read your posts, dumb-ass. You have no clue.
    You haven't understood anything: evidently another troll, get plonked
    already.
    Another troll who thinks he has the Wisdom, and all the others don't.
    And, for your records, my posts refers to the Sapphire 9600.
    You can't say that I've not a clue. And be polite next time (you have
    attacked me first).

    Jopo75, Nov 11, 2003
  13. Hammer Toe

    Strontium Guest

    YOU seem to be the troll. Obvious, by your nVidia fanboi comments. I'll be
    however I feel like being, towards you, shit-for-brains. Tell ya what...you
    wanna go to nvidia, go. WTF are you doing here, bitching and whining, in
    the first place? Seems you've either got too much time on your hands
    (loser), or are a freak/troll. Which is it? Don't like? Use your killfile
    dumbass...As I'm going to do, with you. Ciao, fuckface.

    -
    Jopo75 stood up at show-n-tell, in 3YVrb.4308$, and

    Strontium, Nov 11, 2003
  14. Hammer Toe

    Jopo75 Guest

    I read your posts, dumb-ass. You have no clue.
    I think you haven't ripped off any heatsink out of a Sapphire Radeon 9600
    lately, to say that.
    Mine has a passive heatsink too big and heavy to be placed "firmly" only
    with 2 plastic spacers.
    If you've red all my posts, you oughta know: instead you don't (see my post
    at the top of this ng).
    What about http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/radeon/pcolor-1.html?
    Dumb-ass to whom?
    Take care.

    Jopo75, Nov 11, 2003
  15. Hammer Toe

    Jopo75 Guest

    YOU seem to be the troll. Obvious, by your nVidia fanboi comments.
    ??
    You crazy. Me an nVidia fanboi??
    Change pusher.
    I own three Ati cards, and I've been buying Ati for 10 years. Calm down: I'm
    not a troll from nVidia ng.
    I do want to say this: maybe Sapphire, to reduce costs, doesn't uses quality
    heatsink in some of its models.
    Visit this site and you'll know what I'm talking about:
    http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/radeon/pcolor-1.html.

    Again, have you changed pusher???
    WTF are you complaining about??
    I'm (as you) free to express my thoughs, but in a polite way (unlike you).
    See above.
    I don't want to use my killfile.
    Ciao, testa di cazzo.

    Jopo75, Nov 11, 2003
  16. Hammer Toe

    Skid Guest

    In most cases, Sapphire uses exactly the same stock cooler as the
    corresponding ATI card -- with the exception of the Sapphire ultimate
    series, which use a more expensive silent heat-pipe solution.

    The only "built-cheaper" versions I'm aware of are the black-pcb OEM cards,
    which were actually designed and produced at ATI's request because too many
    people -- like me -- figured out that they could convert a cheap Sapphire
    9500 non-pro into a much more expensive 9700 Pro.

    That was because Sapphire was using the same red PCB and memory layout on
    both cards. ATI asked them to stop, because in that case Sapphire was giving
    customers TOO MUCH value.

    Sapphire redesigned the PCB to lock out the modders and reduce the
    production cost. They are still selling the black cards, at bargain prices.
    They're a good deal, but you get only what you pay for, not more.

    In your case you are mad at Sapphire because you chipped the GPU when you
    pried off the cooler. That might have happened on any card, not just
    Sapphire's. You were actually lucky, because you voided the warranty but the
    card still works.

    Skid, Nov 11, 2003