Sapphire X800 GTO 256 AGP problem

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Guest, Nov 26, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi everyone,
    I'm back!! Once again I am running into the same problem. While playing
    computer games specifically BF2 and D3, my FPS starts off at 50-80, but as I
    play, it degrades down until it gets to an unbearable 7-20 fps.
    I have tried a different power supply, reinstalling the games, the video
    drivers, setting the resolution to 800x600 low settings, but it still drops.
    I even tried putting a spare drive in, putting windows XP with SP2 and only
    the video drivers and BF2 on it, I get the same thing. Heat is not an issue
    as my CPU doesn't go over 125F, and my VPU over 40-50C.
    Does anyone know if there's an issue with these cards? Is there something
    I'm overlooking? Or missing? I pull the card out, put my 9800 pro back in,
    and I can at least get up to 1024x768 with medium settings and rock and
    roll. I noticed there are 3 spots on the bottom of the x800 that looks
    pretty wicked, like the PCB board is discolored or bad, is this normal? I
    hate to think I have to spend yet another month in RMA hell sending back and
    waiting.....
    But unless I'm missing something here, I dont know what else to do.
    here's my system specs and thanks for any help anyone can give
    --
    {SFU} Jackyl

    MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR
    Athlon XP2500
    ATI Radeon X800 GTO 256
    1gb Geil DDR 3200 DC
    Antec trupower 430

    Guest, Nov 26, 2005

  2. Guest

    First of One Guest

    What drivers have you been using? Early ones (Catalyst 5.1, 5.2, etc.) are
    known to have a memory leak problem.

    A photo of the "discoloration" would be helpful. However, it's difficult to
    imagine a hardware failure causing a slow and gradual speed degradation,
    instead of an outright lockup.

    First of One, Nov 27, 2005

  3. Guest

    BigJIm Guest

    you can try this, goto run and type msconfig then ok
    go to the start up tab and open it, on the bottom click disable all.
    reboot, you will get a widow saying you change you start up or something
    like that
    just cancel and try your games. If they run smooth you have a problem with a
    background program running.
    Of course when done reverse the process and enable all.

    BigJIm, Nov 27, 2005
  4. Guest

    comcast Guest

    Sounds like you are running out of memory on your PC and it is running the
    game from the swap file on your HD.

    comcast, Nov 27, 2005
  5. Guest

    jammie Guest

    This sounds like a heating problem to me same thing was happening with
    my processor.

    Check the graphics card fan for dust or run it and see if it is moving
    quickly. Also try playing the game with the side panel of the case off
    and mayb putting an external fan there.

    This worked for me although my processor fan was full of dust.

    Hope this helps

    Jamie

    Ps Join my clan in bf2 reply with a xfire account name and your in
    game name if u r interested

    Thanks

    jammie, Dec 13, 2005