    not work with this mb?

    Thanks
    Ken K

    Ken, Dec 21, 2006

  2. You have that backwards. It will be slower.
    Which likely has PCIe, not PCI-X or PCI66.

    Folkert Rienstra, Dec 21, 2006

  3. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Folkert Rienstra said the following on 12/21/2006 9:43 AM:
    Interesting. I am all ears... I would love to know why. I think my
    ASUS P4PE mb only uses the SATA I (150?) standard on the Promise
    on-board controller while the add-in card uses the 300 standard.

    Thanks
    Ken

    Ken, Dec 22, 2006
  4. Ken

    Rod Speed Guest

    No wonder you're so ugly...
    Essentially because the card is limited by the bandwidth available
    to a card which is normally less than is available to the onboard ports.
    Its very unlikely that the drives can do better than the SATA 1 standard thruput wise.

    Thats normally limited by the drive physical
    characteristics, sectors per track and RPM etc.

    Rod Speed, Dec 22, 2006
  5. I hope your only speaking if the standard PCI spec, and not of PCIX or PCIe,
    both of which can handle a ton more bandwidth. Not to mention having up to a
    Gb of cache with a dedicated I/O processor onboard the card. Not that the
    Promise solutions offer any of these caveats, they are the very low end of
    the market for addon drive cards.

    Angry American, Dec 22, 2006
  6. Ken

    Rod Speed Guest

    Not than what is available to the onboard ports.
    Irrelevant in most normal use. Thruput is
    still normally limited by the card interface.
    Pity he asked about one of those.

    Rod Speed, Dec 22, 2006
  7. Ken

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Basically the on-board ports can be connected in several fashions:

    - PCI
    - PCI-X or PXI-E in various speeds
    - Something special

    I have seen mixed solutions were some on-board controllers
    are attached to PCI-X and some to PCI. In my experience
    on-board controllers are allways faster or as fast as external
    controllers in PCI. The TX4 however does 32bit/66MHz PCI-X.
    If places in such a slot, the TX4 will be significantly faster
    than in an ordinary PCI slot. The limit is still somewere
    around 150...200MB/sec, i.e. 4 fast drives can saturate the
    controller easily.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Dec 22, 2006
  8. PCI in 2 speeds and 2 widths
    and/or widths
    As in: connected to the CPU Chipset internal bus
    Which is in server boards.
    Chipset included controllers, connected to the internal bus.
    Standard PCI, as is his case.
    PCI, not PCI-X.
    Fully loaded, eg using RAID.
    Which is about 2 future SATA300 drives worth.
    But not by their own.

    Folkert Rienstra, Dec 22, 2006
  9. In that case they are equally fast/slow, using the standard 33MHz PCI bus.

    Folkert Rienstra, Dec 22, 2006
  10. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Rod Speed said the following on 12/21/2006 10:25 PM:
    I am open to looking at other solutions. Are there better controllers
    that are not much more expensive? I should add that I am using this
    computer for storage, so the drives on the controller card are used for
    music and movies. I expect that within a year I will be upgrading to a
    different board/cpu/memory system to take advantage of faster bus speed,
    core 2 duo, etc (Vista?).

    Thanks
    Ken

    Ken, Dec 22, 2006
  11. Ken

    Rod Speed Guest

    The best 'solution' in your case is to use the onboard controllers.
    Not better in the sense of being able to do anything about the
    limitation to bandwidth you get with any card in that motherboard.
    Then you dont need anything better than what the onboard controllers can do.
    That will have even better onboard controllers.

    Rod Speed, Dec 22, 2006