    & HP bios on this machine.

    Thanks,
    Bill

    Bill Martin, Jun 11, 2012

  2. Bill Martin

    W Guest

    "Bill Martin" <> wrote in message
    news:jr5gmm$e2j$...
    > Anyone know if any of the pata/sata adapters on ebay work in the old
    > nw8000? I don't need screaming performance, just has to work with XP
    > & HP bios on this machine.

    Finding a reliable stand-alone SATA controller that is a reliable boot
    adapter has been a problem for me too. I find with multiport units that I
    can stick a boot device in port 0, and as soon as I put a device on an
    additional port 1 to 3, the port 0 device stops beeing seen during the BIOS
    bootup process.

    I have not found a SATA host adapter that has a standalone BIOS application
    with configuration options that can be invoked during the boot process,
    before Windows starts to load.

    W, Jun 18, 2012

  3. Bill Martin

    Bill Martin Guest

    On 06/17/2012 11:14 PM, W wrote:
    > "Bill Martin"<> wrote in message
    >> Anyone know if any of the pata/sata adapters on ebay work in the old
    >> nw8000? I don't need screaming performance, just has to work with XP
    >> & HP bios on this machine.

    > Finding a reliable stand-alone SATA controller that is a reliable boot
    > adapter has been a problem for me too. I find with multiport units that I
    > can stick a boot device in port 0, and as soon as I put a device on an
    > additional port 1 to 3, the port 0 device stops beeing seen during the BIOS
    > bootup process.
    >
    > I have not found a SATA host adapter that has a standalone BIOS application
    > with configuration options that can be invoked during the boot process,
    > before Windows starts to load.

    Thanks for your reply. I decided to stay on the "safe" side, and ordered
    a 120GB PATA drive. Think that is as big as I can go for this era of
    machine...anyway, I will know in a couple of weeks how it works out.

    Bill Martin, Jun 18, 2012