    tower I might get, the one having SATA cables? Is there some kind of
    adapter so that older, ribbon style cables can be plugged into SATA?

    Thanks

    Stan, Sep 21, 2007

  2. Stan

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Short answer: Not compatible at all

    Long answer: There are adapters, but they are unreliable
    even for HDDs and generally do not work for CD burners.

    You might have luck with a PCI ATA adapter card, but some
    of them also have problems with CD-burners. However the
    mainboard may still have one ATA port, which could support
    the burner.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Sep 22, 2007

  3. Stan

    Don Guest

    I don't know about CD ROMs and burners, but my Gigabit adepter works
    just fine. And it cost me all of $15. I currently have it plugged into
    a Western Digital 250 GB parallel drive.

    Don, Sep 30, 2007
  4. Stan

    Arno Wagner Guest

    I posted a review some time here. I found that some adapter+disk combos
    work well, others not and some do not work at all. That is what I
    call "unreliable". Getting such an adapter and using it is basically
    an experiment with unclear outcome.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Oct 1, 2007