    Thanks,
    Stanley

    Second,

    RStanleyG, Oct 7, 2006

  2. RStanleyG

    Phil Guest

    Whichever drive is connected to the red SATA port (SATA1) will be set as the
    boot drive.

    -phil

    Phil, Oct 7, 2006

  3. RStanleyG

    Paul Guest

    I'm not certain about that model number (the WF part ?). Motherboards of
    this generation can use several chips to control SATA drives. In this example,
    there are three Southbridge SATA ports, the fourth port of the Southbridge is
    tied to a SIL4723 hardware RAID chip (controlling two disks of its own),
    and there is also a separate Jmicron JMB363. The SATA connectors are
    colored to differentiate where they might be connected.

    http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1198&l1=3&l2=11&l3=248

    If the drives are on the Southbridge, those are the ones most likely
    to be visible immediately. The SIL4723 has several modes, and can be
    used to RAID two drives together. The SIL4723 is a hardware RAID chip,
    and that means it looks to the Southbridge port it is connected to,
    as if the two disks are a single array, ready to go. That may hide the
    identity and manufacturer info of the two drives connected to the
    SIL4723.

    I suggest you start with the manual, to get some idea of what
    drivers are needed, and what issues will come up, if all you
    are looking for is a way to connect five drives with existing
    data. While I'm sure Asus heart was in the right place when
    they slapped the SIL4723 on these new motherboards, I think for
    the vast majority of users, having the simple four ports of the
    Southbridge available, and not having to deal with the SIL4723,
    is what they would have really wanted. If you had a Southbridge
    with four SATA ports, and the JMB363 as a source of additional
    ports, this question would be much easier to answer.

    The SIL4723 can be connected to one drive, and then operated
    in a semi-transparent mode. And that may do what you want.
    It would be three drives on Southbridge, one drive on SIL4723
    in the appropriate mode, and one drive on JMB363. The SIL4723
    hosted drive, would look like it is on the fourth port of
    the Southbridge, in that case.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 7, 2006
  4. RStanleyG

    Mitch Crane Guest

    Probably the P5W DH Deluxe Wifi.

    Mitch Crane, Oct 7, 2006
  5. RStanleyG

    RStanleyG Guest

    Sorry about the model typo. It's actually a P5B Deluxe Wi Fi.

    Your answers helped me a lot. Thanks.

    Stanley

    RStanleyG, Oct 7, 2006
  6. RStanleyG

    Andy Guest

    Doesn't the BIOS have the Hard Disk Drives setting under the Boot menu
    in BIOS setup?
    It influences how Windows setup assigns drive letters to the drives.

    Andy, Oct 8, 2006