SATA hard drive external enclosure doesn't work

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Brian K, Feb 26, 2006.

  1. Brian K

    Brian K Guest

    Last week I bought a Vantec SATA/USB external enclosure. I inserted a 160 GB
    SATA HD, turned the SATA port "on" in the BIOS but couldn't see the drive in
    Windows. After installing ver 5.5 of the Intel Matrix Manager the drive was
    then seen in Windows. I ran HDTune and the benchmarking was the same as when
    this was my internal HD.

    But, after copying a few GB from the internal HD to the external HD, my
    computer freezes with this error "Windows - Delayed Write Failure". I have
    to restart by pressing the power button.

    If I run the external drive in USB mode, it works perfectly.

    Googling for this error yields lots of hits, but few answers. Certainly no
    hits for external SATA drives. I've emailed Vantec but haven't received a
    reply. I have a Dell 8400.

    Can anyone help resolve this?

    Brian K, Feb 26, 2006

  2. Brian K

    Clint Guest

    Don't have any experience with these types of units, but I'd start by
    looking in Control Panel->System->Device Mangler. Find the hard drive in
    the "Disk Drives" section, and look at the policies. On my system, there's
    an option for "Optimize for quick removal" or "Optimize for performance".
    I'd try making sure it was set to "Optimize for quick removal" to debug this
    issue.

    Clint

    Clint, Feb 26, 2006

  3. Brian K

    Brian K Guest

    Thanks Clint. That was one of the recommendations I would have liked to try,
    but the choices are greyed out. It's stuck on "Optimize for performance".

    Brian K, Feb 26, 2006
  4. Brian K

    Tom Scales Guest

    Probably because Windows never thinks of a SATA drive as removeable. Just
    never turn it off or disconnected it without the machine being powered off
    and you should be OK.

    I see this particular error when a drive is about to die.

    Tom Scales, Feb 26, 2006
  5. Brian K

    Brian K Guest

    Tried that Tom. Left it connected for multiple restarts. Yes, an external
    SATA drive is regarded as internal by Windows. Strange, as the HD in the
    enclosure was my system HD the day before. It must be something to do with
    the eSATA connection from the enclosure.

    The external HD works perfectly in USB mode. It would be nice to have it
    working in SATA mode as transfer for the first 2-3 GB (before it crashes) is
    40 to 45 MB/sec which is twice as fast as USB mode.

    Brian K, Feb 26, 2006