    would be a good brand to run on this series of the board and the
    propper Seek time, RPM level and buffer size. I'm looking for a forty
    Gig due to my budget level.Please Help.!!!!!!

    JoshuaCurrie, Mar 27, 2006

  2. JoshuaCurrie

    old man Guest

    A 40gb will cost $40, 80gb $55, 120gb $70, 160gb $80 etc
    you do the math and see which is the most expensive / gb
    If you think your going to see a difference in speed you probably wont
    notice it

    old man, Mar 28, 2006

  3. JoshuaCurrie

    Dale Brisket Guest

    Three words- Western Digital Raptor.

    74GB is a bargain now that the 150 GB is out:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144160

    Dale Brisket, Mar 28, 2006
  4. JoshuaCurrie

    Bill Guest

    Define..."bargain".

    In my area, the 74gig Raptor is more than twice the price of two 200gig
    7200rpm 16MB cache drives ($219 compared to $99x2).

    While the Raptor is a good performer, it's not even close to being cost
    effective for the masses.

    Bill, Mar 28, 2006
  5. JoshuaCurrie

    DDC Guest

    At that price get 2 hd 80 and set a raid system.

    DDC, Mar 28, 2006
  6. JoshuaCurrie

    Greysky Guest

    Well, the people who hang around this newsgroup are not 'ordinary', that's
    for sure :) The Raptor may at first seem high on a cost per megabyte basis,
    but , the speed of operation aside, there is a five year warranty that's not
    to be sneezed at. When they say 1 million hours MTBF I know my images are
    safe (watch, now that I said it, my Raptor will start smokin'). I have had
    to throw away too many Maxtors over the years to save money by using low
    cost drives that are (almost) designed to fail 1 year and 1 day after they
    are purchased, and 1 day out of warranty. But, I guess everyone has their
    own price point, so whatever rows your boat...

    Greysky, Mar 29, 2006