    sometimes the status of C: , and never finds anything wrong (no damaged
    block, no lost data, all descriptors are OK, ...).

    Any clue ?

    Karthago, Jan 21, 2004

  2. Karthago

    Samuria Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:40:35 +0100, "Karthago"
    Some background. When windows starts it sets a bit on the harddrive as
    dirty and sets it in the reg, when it shutsdown it clears this bit. If
    it doesnt shutdown properly it sees this bit is set to dirty and runs
    chksdk.

    It can get things wrong if it shuts down to quick and cant clear the
    bit in time. There is a known problem with some scanners.

    Here is a way to turn it off which may well cure it

    To turn it off
    Open a registry editor and navigating to the
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
    Manager\BootExecute sub-key. Change the entry to reflect a value of:
    autocheck autochk *
    Your system will now bypass the test at startup.

    This issue can occur if the System registry hive or the Software
    registry hive is damaged, or if both of the following conditions are
    true:
    You use a Hewlett Packard (HP) ScanJet 5100c scanner with the HP
    driver.
    You have not updated the scanner driver to the Windows XP version that
    is available from Hewlett Packard.
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, use the appropriate method.
    Hewlett Packard ScanJet 5100c Scanner
    To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
    Disconnect the HP ScanJet 5100c scanner from the computer, and then
    restart the computer.
    If the issue no longer occurs after you disconnect the scanner, you
    need to update the driver for your scanner. To do this, proceed to
    step 3.

    If the issue continues to occur after you disconnect the scanner, a
    program that is loaded when you start the computer may cause a
    conflict. For additional information about how to determine if this is
    the cause,, click the article number below to view the article in the
    Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    310353 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

    Download and install the Windows XP version of the HP PrecisionScan
    update for your HP ScanJet 5100C scanner from the following HP Web
    site:
    http://www.hp.com/cposupport/swindexes/c5197a_swen.html

    Samuria, Jan 21, 2004

  3. Karthago

    Rob Guest

    BIOS. Versions before "1007" are known to have SATA bugs.
    If you have already updated, then the other reply might be "on-
    song".
    HTH

    Rob, Jan 23, 2004
  4. What chipset is that mobo?
    Nasty. Is that a chipset-level bug, or an Asus anomaly?

    Dreams are stack dumps of the soul

    cquirke (MVP Win9x), Jan 23, 2004
  5. Karthago

    Karthago Guest

    I'm running BIOS v1007 ; I'll apply the register trick (my scanner is an
    Epson 1260 and not HP, but let's give it a try).

    Thanks.

    Karthago, Jan 23, 2004
  6. Karthago

    Rob Hemmings Guest

    It has an Nforce 2 chipset. The SATA bug was 'kind of' chipset-related
    (SATA isn't integrated into the southbridge though, so it's not a "VIA"
    type of chipset problem), and only affects RAID setups, I believe.
    I have a couple of these boards (deluxe 2.0 version) and they are
    definitely the best mobo's I've ever had (or supported), by quite some
    distance. Highly configurable (recommended if you're into overclocking).
    Mine run XP2500s as XP3200s (ie at 200FSB) in dual-channel DDR
    mode (ie 400MHz), with no instability or overheating problems.
    HTH

    Rob Hemmings, Jan 27, 2004
  7. OK. I was wondering what the NForce were like; if I was doing AMD,
    I'd prolly be most interested in them. nVidia are boss on SVGA, just
    wondered how together they were on the rest of motherboard biz... my
    guess is prolly yes; they'd be unlikely to chance undoing their rep if
    thier excusion into mobos was found to be buggy etc.
    Sounds good! The first few Intel chipsets with RAID also has the
    S-ATA/RAID as a 3rd-party add-on (in the case of the i845G boards I
    built with, the add-on was by Promise), and I haven't tested that
    functionality on them. The i865G has S-ATA as part of Intel's
    chipset, and so far that has worked well as S-ATA RAID 0.

    I think generally, I'd be more confident with S-ATA / RAID that was
    either integrated into the chipset, or in a self-contained card that's
    designed and tested to work with arbitrary chipsets and BIOSs.

    Dreams are stack dumps of the soul

    cquirke (MVP Win9x), Jan 27, 2004