    Manager.

    Help needed, please.
    Thanks

    MacGyver, Jan 24, 2004

  2. MacGyver

    TomG Guest

    one thing I was made aware of while working with another poster is that he
    discovered that is the USB support in the bios is set to BIOS instead of OS,
    then the SI controller was being "stepped on" by the bios support for USB.
    In his case, he did not see the SI BIOS during the boot screens near the
    very end of the boot screens before the OS loads.

    so, if you don't see the SI bios, assuming you have the raid ROM enabled in
    the bios setup, then that would be something to look at. other than that,
    you need to have the SI drivers loaded in the OS and everything should work.

    I have run my system with drives on both controllers and I have tested with
    the SI raid ROM enabled and disabled. if you do not intend to run a raid,
    you can still have the raid ROM enabled to provide DOS level support and
    such.

    check the setting of the USB support for both KB and mouse and set it to OS
    level support to see if that helps. the one very important thing to
    remember about doing that is that if you have a USB KB, then you will not be
    able to enter the bios setup screens or hit other keystrokes down at the
    bios level, such as the Control I to enter the Intel raid ROM screens, as
    the KB will no longer have USB support until the OS boots. the workaround
    for this is to use a PS/2 KB.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 120,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Jan 24, 2004

  3. MacGyver

    MacGyver Guest

    I see SI raid ROM at boot-up. Drivers are installed for XP Pro. I get
    nothing. My KB is PS/2, so I'll try changing to OS.

    Thanks,
    Paul

    MacGyver, Jan 25, 2004
  4. MacGyver

    xman Charlie Guest

    I got some older 8gb maxtor drives that don't work with these never raid
    thingys. Don't show on the screen when I boot...

    My newer wd hds always show, as long as the jumper on the hd is set to the
    correct setting...

    my 2 cents

    xman Charlie, Jan 25, 2004
  5. MacGyver

    TomG Guest

    are you using the Serillel-2 adapters to mount the drives to the SATA
    channels or are you running the drives on the regular IDE channels (PATA)?

    TomG, Jan 25, 2004
  6. MacGyver

    MacGyver Guest

    The 2 IDE HDs and IDE CD-RW are connected to IDE 1/2. I have WD Raptor SATA
    on SATA 1 and Hitachi 250GB SATA on SATA 2. Want to hook up Hitachi 160GB
    SATA on SATA 3. Hitachi 160GB is not detected.

    Onboard PCI Device menu: SATA Controller = Enabled. I see SI controller
    BIOS at boot-up. SI drivers are installed for WinXP Pro w/SP1a. SI
    controller in device manager. Working properly.
    Checked cables. Used cable working for other SATA HD, still no go.

    I'm getting ready to pull all drives not necessary and try it.

    BTW, using BIOS 2.0.

    MacGyver, Jan 26, 2004
  7. MacGyver

    TomG Guest

    and you tried the USB support being set to OS in the bios? if the SI bios
    screen does not show the drive during the boot screens, then I'm sure that
    the OS won't show it either.

    one thing you can try is to disable the SI bios ROM as that controller will
    still support a SATA drive on the channels without the bios. it just won't
    do raid functions without the bios. just as something to change the mix,
    try disabling the SI Raid ROM and see what happens with that. I run a SATA
    drive on my SI controller without the bios being enabled just to save boot
    time (one less bios screen to wait on) since I don't use it for raid and if
    I ever need access to the drive from a DOS boot, I just jump into the
    mainboard bios screens and enable the SI raid ROM and reboot.

    other than that, something is inhibiting that drive from being detected
    (duh) and I don't have a good idea what it could be.

    TomG, Jan 26, 2004
  8. MacGyver

    Spajky® Guest

    try to get that IDE2sAta dongle & hook up the last disk to remaining
    Ide channel ...

    -- Regards, SPAJKY ®
    E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

    Spajky®, Jan 28, 2004
  9. MacGyver

    MacGyver Guest

    I have the drive running now. Would you guess it, one of the prongs from
    the 4-pin power connector was loose.

    Thanks for the help.

    MacGyver, Jan 28, 2004
  10. MacGyver

    TomG Guest

    seen that more times than I can count... glad you have it sorted...

    TomG, Jan 29, 2004