SATA Internal HD for 2002 700XL?

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by Don Cohen, Oct 7, 2006.

  1. Don Cohen

    Don Cohen Guest

    This is a follow-up to a previous post about adding a 300GB or so internal
    HD to my 2002 700XL (Win XP Home/SP2). As I've researched drives, I've
    become more aware of the SATA option, promising greater speed. I see that
    there are $20 or so PCI cards that would enable me to connect an internal
    SATA drive, and the drives themselves are about the same price (I'm looking
    at Western Digital 320GB primarily, for around $90 to $99), so it wouldn't
    be an expensive option. Questions:

    1. Will my system see any real performance difference in the SATA vs EIDE
    hard drives, or will motherboard/BIOS limitations prevent this?

    2. Would I be able to make the new SATA drive, connected via a SATA PCI
    Controller Card, the primary, bootable drive, in the hopes of decreasing
    boot-time?

    3. Which SATA/PCI card brands are best, or are they all pretty much the
    same?

    Any other thoughts/considerations appreciated.

    Don Cohen, Oct 7, 2006

  2. Don Cohen

    Grunion Guest

    There is a slight real-world increase between SATA and EIDE drives.
    However, adding a PCI card will increase boot time since the motherboard
    must communicate with the controller card. Your best bet is to get a
    EIDE drive as your primary drive.

    Make sure your motherboard is compatible with a drive that size.

    Grun

    Grunion, Oct 7, 2006

  3. Don Cohen

    Don Cohen Guest

    Thanks for the reply, Grun.
    I kind of suspected that, but wasn't sure.
    That actually was the intent of my first thread/post, but nobody could say
    with any degree of certainty whether or not my MB would support a 300GB or
    so HD. Here are the system specs that I posted originally - can you tell
    from this whether or not it will? (derived from Belarc Advisor):

    Gateway E-6000
    Board: Intel Corporation D850MV AAA57887-302
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: Intel Corp. MV85010A.15A.0075.P13.0209191141 09/19/2002
    2233 megahertz Intel Pentium 4
    8 kilobyte primary memory cache
    512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    Intel(r) 82801BA Bus Master IDE Controller
    Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
    Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
    1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

    Thanks.

    Don Cohen, Oct 7, 2006
  4. Don Cohen

    Lon Guest

    Don Cohen proclaimed:
    The sata pci card will need to be bootable, then you get to go into your
    bios and set the boot source. Or you keep your current drive and use
    it to boot and run the SATA as another drive...which is less complicated
    if you are not pc savvy or have bribeable friends.

    SATA is noticeably faster than EIDE if you have a good chipset.

    Lon, Oct 7, 2006
  5. Don Cohen

    Don Cohen Guest

    SATA is noticeably faster than EIDE if you have a good chipset.

    With a circa-2002 system, I would be doubtful that it would qualify as a
    "good chipset" by today's standards, and therefore am doubtful as to whether
    there would be any real-world speed difference in my particular case.

    Thanks.

    Don Cohen, Oct 8, 2006
  6. Don Cohen

    Lon Guest

    Don Cohen proclaimed:
    I'll take issue with that in general, having directly tested 7200 rpm
    scsi against 7200 sata and poor old EIDE on hardware of that era with
    twin xeons, serverworks chipset, and built in vs addon pci controllers.

    Lon, Oct 8, 2006