    drives. I don't fancy trying to RAID these drives but would it make sense
    to buy another Maxtor 160 GB and RAID them?

    What are my options for I seem to have no shortages of drive connections.

    RJAG, Nov 9, 2005

  2. RJAG

    Jure Sah Guest

    I'm not sure what the motherboard actually supports, but when it comes
    to RAID... you can always select the JBOD configuration and then use it
    with whatever extra disks you may buy and they don't have to be identical.

    Basically, with RAID you would have to delete all contens of your
    existing 160 GB drive so that you could RAID it with a new identical
    drive (persumably RAID0, which would actually increase the available
    disk space).

    With JBOD, meaning Just A Bunch of Drives, which most RAID capable
    hardware supports, you could use any extra drives of any type and they
    would all look as one big disk, which you can further partition.

    --
    Model: INFJ
    Primary function: Coprocessor

    Yes I'm a therian:
    http://www.wikitherian.org

    Creationism & Darwin:
    "The bible says humans were
    supposed to use animals to
    do work for them and I like
    to work so I must be an animal!"

    Jure Sah, Nov 9, 2005

  3. RJAG

    Karl S Guest

    You can mix SATA and IDE.

    If you want to create either a SATA or IDE RAID array, just create an image
    of your present drive with a program such as Drive Image and then restore
    it to the RAID array after it is created.

    That's what I did when I created a SATA array. I had to reinstall Windows
    XP over the top of the existing installation because it didn't have the
    proper RAID drivers. Everything then worked perfectly.

    Karl S, Nov 9, 2005
  4. RJAG

    RJAG Guest

    Can I have a mix of SATA and PATA without the need for an array.

    RJAG, Nov 9, 2005
  5. RJAG

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, R.

    I'm running 1 IDE (PATA) and 2 SATA HDs on my 8KDA3+. Until last Spring, I
    was running 1 SCSI and 2 IDEs on it. Then I got 1 SATA and retired 1 IDE.
    Finally, I got a second SATA and retired my 5-year-old 9 GB SCSI; until then
    I had always booted from SCSI. I've never used any kind of RAID, even
    though my last two mobos support it natively. My point in mentioning all
    this is that mixing HDs that use different interfaces is quite doable.

    Mixing SATA and PATA should present no hardware problems, but the BIOS/OS
    setup might be challenging. The BIOS and Windows often have conflicting
    ideas of which is Drive zero, for example. In WinXP Pro, Disk Management
    always shows my IDE as Drive 0, but in Boot.ini it is rdisk(1) while the
    first SATA HD (the boot device) is rdisk(0).

    RC

    R. C. White, Nov 10, 2005
  6. Yes.

    Regards,