    Does anyone make a PCI adapter that supports at least two eSATA ports with
    port multipliers, and uses the Intel Matrix Storage manager software for
    RAID functions?

    W, Dec 26, 2012

  2. W

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    On 26/12/2012 3:29 AM, W wrote:
    > Does anyone make a PCI adapter that supports at least two eSATA ports with
    > port multipliers, and uses the Intel Matrix Storage manager software for
    > RAID functions?

    I would think that would only be something from Intel itself.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Dec 28, 2012

  3. W

    W Guest

    "Yousuf Khan" <> wrote in message
    > On 26/12/2012 3:29 AM, W wrote:
    > > Does anyone make a PCI adapter that supports at least two eSATA ports

    with
    > > port multipliers, and uses the Intel Matrix Storage manager software for
    > > RAID functions?

    > I would think that would only be something from Intel itself.

    Probably, and that's why I am asking the question on the Intel newsgroup. :)

    W, Dec 28, 2012
  4. W

    daytripper Guest

    On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 02:29:14 -0500, Yousuf Khan <>
    wrote:

    >On 26/12/2012 3:29 AM, W wrote:
    >> Does anyone make a PCI adapter that supports at least two eSATA ports with
    >> port multipliers, and uses the Intel Matrix Storage manager software for
    >> RAID functions?

    >I would think that would only be something from Intel itself.
    >
    > Yousuf Khan

    Does Intel even sell their own standalone PCIe to SATA adapter chips?

    All of their SAS & SATA raid controller cards use LSI Logic ROC parts (which
    don't appear to support the Intel MSM kit)...

    /daytripper

    daytripper, Dec 28, 2012
  5. W

    W Guest

    "daytripper" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 02:29:14 -0500, Yousuf Khan

    <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On 26/12/2012 3:29 AM, W wrote:
    > >> Does anyone make a PCI adapter that supports at least two eSATA ports

    with
    > >> port multipliers, and uses the Intel Matrix Storage manager software

    for
    > >> RAID functions?

    > >I would think that would only be something from Intel itself.
    > >
    > > Yousuf Khan

    > Does Intel even sell their own standalone PCIe to SATA adapter chips?
    >
    > All of their SAS & SATA raid controller cards use LSI Logic ROC parts

    (which
    > don't appear to support the Intel MSM kit)...

    Yes, I was noticing the same. This is why I asked the question, since
    there might be some older RAID card they discontinued that used the Intel
    chipsets and Matrix Storage Manager drivers.

    W, Dec 29, 2012
  6. W

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    On 28/12/2012 5:58 PM, daytripper wrote:
    > On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 02:29:14 -0500, Yousuf Khan<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On 26/12/2012 3:29 AM, W wrote:
    >>> Does anyone make a PCI adapter that supports at least two eSATA ports with
    >>> port multipliers, and uses the Intel Matrix Storage manager software for
    >>> RAID functions?

    >> I would think that would only be something from Intel itself.
    >>
    >> Yousuf Khan

    > Does Intel even sell their own standalone PCIe to SATA adapter chips?
    >
    > All of their SAS& SATA raid controller cards use LSI Logic ROC parts (which
    > don't appear to support the Intel MSM kit)...
    >
    > /daytripper

    I would doubt it that Intel would sell PCIe cards or even chipsets for
    them. Besides, Intel's RAID is done through their CPU's, it's a fake-RAID.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Dec 29, 2012
  7. W wrote:
    > Does anyone make a PCI adapter that supports at least two eSATA ports with
    > port multipliers, and uses the Intel Matrix Storage manager software for
    > RAID functions?

    IIRC that is firmware RAID, there is no real RAID hardware involved. It also
    results (for RAID5) in every data write which is not a full size perfectly
    aligned chuck generating two reads and two writes, each of which go on the
    system memory via PCI bus. If you don't have the ability to control writes you
    may get better performance writing the data once to a RAID box on eSATA
    connection. That moves the overhead off the PCI and system memory bus.

    Just a thought, no idea how firm your need to use that storage manager mat be.

    Bill Davidsen, Feb 4, 2013