SATA problem on AK77-600GN

Discussion in 'AOpen' started by GarethJ, Aug 21, 2008.

  1. GarethJ

    GarethJ

    Hi All,
    My HDD died so I am trying to start from scratch with a new Hitachi 320GB SATA drive.
    I start WinXP setup from CD and when prompted, hit F6 to install my 3rd party SATA driver (from floppy).
    All seems well and I can select the correct driver from the floppy and it seems to load.
    When setup continues, it gets just past "Setup is starting Windows" and then tells me my system has no HDD and it cannot continue.

    My BIOS is an old version and doesn't have onchip recognition of SATA drives.
    There is newer BIOS available with SATA support, but how do I flash the BIOS without an operating system? The only support from AOpen refers to the EzWinFlash utility (which I can't use as I have no OS).

    Help please coz I'm Stuck :eek:(

    Thanks, Gareth

    GarethJ, Aug 21, 2008
  2. GarethJ

    GarethJ

    Just had a nasty thought.....
    Does the MOBO have a limit on the size of HDD it can handle??
    If so, does anyone know what the limit is, or if 320GB is likely to be too big?

    I knew I should have stuck with PATA IDE.......:mad:

    GarethJ, Aug 21, 2008