    drives and I want to have the "safe" config (mirroring) as opposed to the
    "speed" config (striping).

    Thanks!

    Scotter, Dec 29, 2003

  2. Scotter

    Ron Guest

    Hmm. Well, yes, sortof.

    I say "sortof" because if you haven't run for awhile on a RAID0/striped
    array...THEN switched to RAID1...you won't have a point of reference against
    which to compare the performance [decrease] of a mirrored array.

    Is a striped array faster than a mirrored array? Absolutely. But as you
    already know, the latter is safer.

    That said - and I know there are those that disagree - my counsel would be
    to go with the RAID0. The likelihood of a failure on one out of two drives
    which are in a RAID1 array is still pretty slim. And if the failure of one
    of those two drives ends up taking 2 years...then you will have lost out on
    the significant performance boost offered by a striped array for 2 years. A
    bit like buying insurance, eh? You just pay your price; just in case.
    Except in THIS case, a failure means a bit of time to re-install software,
    not a loss of life. Besides, if you set up a striped array, you can always
    maintain a clone of the array on a separate drive in the system!

    Please post a follow-up.
    Ron

    Ron, Dec 30, 2003

  3. Scotter

    Scotter Guest

    Hey Ron -
    Thanks for your response.
    However, my question has nothing to do with striping. I tried striping long
    ago and like you say, I found it to be too dangerous.
    My question here is this:
    Will I take a performance hit by going raid (mirroring) using two drives vs.
    just no raid at all with one drive. In other words, when the raid controller
    splits the data to write to two devices instead of one, is there a
    performance hit?
    Thanks!
    Scott

    Scotter, Dec 30, 2003
  4. Scotter

    Courseyauto Guest

    Raid 1 is slower than raid O and a single drive, in writing because it has to
    write to 2 drives. Raid 1 doesn't split the data between the 2 drives, but it
    does take longer to write to the 2 drives vs one drive. DOUG

    Courseyauto, Dec 30, 2003
  5. Scotter

    Ron Guest

    Yeah. What he said!

    (Merry Christmas, BTW)
    Ron

    Ron, Dec 30, 2003
  6. Scotter

    Tim Guest

    Ron,

    You can get the answer and that is by running a benchmark, or locating some
    benchmarks.

    My experience with installing raid 1 on servers is that I am impressed with
    their performance, reliability (of the raid mechanism itself - the raid 1 is
    self apparent), and ease of setup (Intel ICH5R).

    With the Intel ICH5R controller - from experience - it is an absolute
    breeze: It does everything as it should. If you get a drive failure, you get
    a flashing icon on the task bar (the intel documentation is crappy in the
    extreme). Rebuilding a broken array is automatic - just don't delete the
    array or fiddle with the config (ever). Notification options are needed:
    email is in my view essential, along with Event Log records since a flashing
    icon requires you to be at the server to see it (or use terminal server).

    I would have no qualms about raid 1 at all. If the performance is not good
    enough, then consider the more advanced IDE / SATA raid controllers that are
    out. Some include raid 5, cache memory, and increased drive connectivity.
    While it is certainly true that raid 1 requires 2 x writes, both writes can
    occur at the same time. If both drives are healthy then responses are
    received by the controller in close succession, so the elapsed time for a
    write is about the same as per a single drive, not twice.

    Toms Hardware ran a review on one of these recently and as they do, gave it
    their thumbs up.

    If the performance is not good enough, but you still need that extra data
    assurance, then I would suggest Raptors or SCSI with or without raid. SCSI
    drives are substantially more reliable. Ultra 320 SCSI RAID 1 with a caching
    controller is brilliant (and a little expensive).

    Raid 0 is high risk - the probability of a logical drive failure is
    multiplied by the number of drives in the RAID 0. IDE drives seem to be
    dropping in reliability, so this is only good for scratch data EG video
    editing.

    At the end of the day, I suggest you look at the value of your data, your
    charge rate, the cost of an outage or loss of data and ask yourself: How
    much would I be willing to spend to prevent an outage or loss of data of say
    1 day. If you earn $1000 / day (lets hope) then that is what you should
    spend. If it took 5 days to recover lost data, then you should consider
    spending more - get an AIT tape drive or something.

    Final Note: I had 2 drives in a mirrored pair die the other day. First drive
    was 100% shot, second came up with 1 bad sector (no earthquakes or anything
    like that). The customer was *very* lucky and got everything back. This does
    happen, so make sure you have good backups too.

    - Tim

    Tim, Dec 30, 2003
  7. Scotter

    Ron Guest

    Nice response, Tim...although I seem to have become the "target" of the
    info, rather than the OP. Nevertheless, I always learn something, and
    appreciate *anyone's* thoughts.

    I agree with most of what you said, but I would like to add an opinion.
    (Naturally this is based upon my OWN adventures.)

    If you create a striped array with two identical drives (+see note below+)
    then you will be enjoying very decent performance. But, yes, you are at
    greater risk of data loss. My suggestion is to get the array running
    nicely, and then create a cloned image on a THIRD drive [which is outside
    the array]. Then, in the event of a failure on one of the RAIDed drives,
    you can replace the failed drive, (recreate the array) and restore the
    cloned image.

    Unfortunately, drives are like light bulbs; they can last for years &
    years...or fail after 500 hours. You never know. And unfortunately
    SMART-type sentries are not yet 100% reliable. So you have to weigh the
    odds; how long will it be before one of two RAIDed drives fails? Six
    months? Three years? I would suggest that the odds favour the latter.
    Regardless, if you set it up as a mirror, you will be *without* the RAID0
    advantage for all of the time that passes UNTIL a drive fails. I think that
    a concientious backup program is sufficient "insurance" to warrant risking a
    striped array. Heck - you could even create an image on TWO separate
    [non-RAIDed] drives...and/or on an *external* drive, if that makes you feel
    any safer!

    Admittedly, it can get a bit silly. You have to balance these things. In
    any case, it's always interesting to hear the logic that people employ
    during these musings. (So, Scotter - please let us know, OK?)

    Happy New Year, gentlemen.
    Ron

    Ron, Dec 31, 2003
  8. Scotter

    Ron Guest

    geez. As usual, I forgot the note.

    +Note: I've read a pile of literature about RAID creation, and I acknowledge
    that the drives do not HAVE to be identical. But the consensus is that
    identical drives leave much less opportunity for conflicts/errors/access
    time discrepancies etc.

    As always with things like this, there are extremes that must be considered.

    Ron

    Ron, Dec 31, 2003
  9. Scotter

    Tim Guest

    Ron,

    Sorry I meant to address Scotter....

    The most important thing in all this? If you are specifying a config for
    someone else, make sure the config is appropriate and the customer
    understands or accepts the pitfalls / benefits of the options at hand.

    You do seem to think that disc subsystem performance is *the* most important
    thing. Often it is secondary to data integrity and reliability - or even
    further behind than that.

    Most of the machines I install are database servers, so raid 1 or 10 is
    always the way to go. Most recent machine has 12 x seagate U320's in raid 10
    :) Pity its not mine. If I had to specify a system for someone doing video
    editing I would defintitely follow your leads.

    Quote of the day "drives are like light bulbs"...

    Does that mean we should buy Russian disc drives? Their light bulbs are
    supposed to be extremely reliable.

    Happy new year too!

    - Tim

    Tim, Jan 1, 2004
  10. Scotter

    mshackleford Guest

    Lets not forget that the Western Digital Raptor drives come with a 5yr
    warranty. That say's something about their perceived reliability.

    It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word.
    -- Andrew Jackson

    mshackleford, Jan 2, 2004