Satellite Overheats, Shuts Down

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by latichever, Feb 18, 2005.

  1. latichever

    latichever Guest

    I'm quite annoyed that my Toshiba is overheating and shutting down.
    (A75-s206 PIV). I bought Toshiba after doing what I thought was due
    diligence and reports of good frequency of repair ratings. I previously
    had a Dell Inspiron. It had it's own problems--several cracked hinge
    repairs. Fortunately, Dell did the repairs under warranty without
    complaint.

    It overheated and powered down about a month after I bought it. The
    problem has become progressively worse and will shut down when I'm not
    putting a lot of strain in the CPU, etc. I have it on a raised tray to
    permit air circulation.

    So now I'm sending it back for it's first repair. (After learning my
    lesson with Dell, I made sure to purchase an extended warranty that
    covers everything including accidental damage, like dropping it, which
    makes me wonder if I'd be better off just to smash this machine against
    the wall.)

    My concern is that it's a design problem (maybe I should have bought a
    machine with a mobile processor). I'm hoping I don't get into a pattern
    where I have to send it in every few months for a repair.

    I've read that one possibility is that dust builds up and impedes the
    functionality of the fans over time. So fixing it now won't permanently
    solve the problem for the extreme environment of my living room.

    So one question I have is how to push for a replacement with a model
    that doesn't have this problem, if it comes to that.

    Do I have to buy a ruggedized laptop next time for reliability for home
    use?

    latichever, Feb 18, 2005

  2. latichever

    bobb Guest

    That's not a good sign from a new machine. Is it too late to return
    the unit for a refund?

    bobb, Feb 18, 2005

  3. latichever

    latichever Guest

    Best Buy has only a 14 day return policy on computers. They must know
    someting. I'll check Toshiba's replacement policy. It's something I may
    demand down the road if this problem becomes chronic. Dell did replace
    my original laptop after a couple of repairs but the new one developed
    the same problems.

    latichever, Feb 18, 2005
  4. latichever

    latichever Guest

    I checked my warranty. It says, "If we can't repair your computer,
    we'll replace it." So if the overheating recurs after they work on it,
    I'll strongly argue they can't repair it.

    latichever, Feb 18, 2005
  5. latichever

    Jerry Park Guest

    I bought a satellite over two years ago. PIII processor (not a mobile
    processor). It failed repeatedly and spent more time being repaired than
    I used it for about 6 months. After it burned out three motherboards, I
    finally convinced toshiba that it was unrepairable and received a refund.

    Jerry Park, Feb 18, 2005
  6. latichever

    me/2 Guest

    :>I'm quite annoyed that my Toshiba is overheating and shutting down.
    :>(A75-s206 PIV). I bought Toshiba after doing what I thought was due
    :>diligence and reports of good frequency of repair ratings. I previously
    :>had a Dell Inspiron. It had it's own problems--several cracked hinge
    :>repairs. Fortunately, Dell did the repairs under warranty without
    :>complaint.
    :>
[...]

    Your problem is most likely not overheating. Compal, who builds that model
    for Toshiba, is guilty of a serious design flaw in it. They forgot to
    properly ground the speaker covers and touchpad. This allows static buildup
    from moving your hands over those areas to "zap" the system board causing
    random lockups and shutdowns. Toshiba has released a redisigned top cover
    assembly that takes care of the problem and any reliable ASP should be aware
    of the issue alert and should be able to replace it for you under warranty.
    In addition, in rare cases, it is possible that components on the system
    board may be damaged by the ESD, and if so, the service centers are also
    replacing the system board under warranty.

    Toshiba has now posted a public support bulletin on that issue on their
    website at http://ts.toshiba.com. Also, I see they've added the M35X series
    (also built by Compal) to the list of affected models with the same fix
    required.

    BTW, you said you are "sending it back" for repair. If they don't indicate
    as a minimum a replacement of the top cover assembly then find a real ASP,
    preferably a Premier, and get it fixed right. The so-called Toshiba Depot
    is a third-party that does repairs for most of the laptop manufacturers and
    is not always up to speed on issues like this. Their favorite thing to do
    is to reload the factory software on the hard drive without consulting you
    first. So, if that's where you're sending it be sure to backup all
    important data files first.

    me/2

    me/2, Feb 19, 2005
  7. latichever

    comter Guest

    i bought a toshiba satelliate laptop 3 years ago that has always been
    in the shop and now the laptop will not turn on. my toshiba also has
    the overheating problem. it is makeing all of the stickers on the
    bottom come off.

    comter, Mar 2, 2005
  8. latichever

    Erik99 Guest

    I had the same problem (Toshiba Satellite A75-S229). A week ago I set
    the processor speed to low, and haven't had any problem since (and
    haven't noticed it being any slower either).

    To change this setting, double click on the lightbult icon in the
    system tray, click on the power mode you're using (e.g. "Full Power"),
    click details, and click on the Power Save Mode tab. The "medium"
    setting might work too, I haven't tried it yet.

    Erik

    Erik99, Mar 6, 2005
  9. latichever

    me/2 Guest

    On 6 Mar 2005 13:45:38 -0800, wrote:

    :>I had the same problem (Toshiba Satellite A75-S229). A week ago I set
    :>the processor speed to low, and haven't had any problem since (and
    :>haven't noticed it being any slower either).
    :>
    :>To change this setting, double click on the lightbult icon in the
    :>system tray, click on the power mode you're using (e.g. "Full Power"),
    :>click details, and click on the Power Save Mode tab. The "medium"
    :>setting might work too, I haven't tried it yet.
    :>
    :>Erik

    I'll post this again for those who missed it the first time. There is a
    serious design flaw in the Toshiba A70 and M35X (not M35) series built for
    Toshiba by Compal. The speakers and the touchpad are not grounded properly
    allowing static electricity from the movement of your hands over the
    palmrest to jump to the system board. This can cause random lockups and
    shutdowns. There was an issue alert put out to all Toshiba service centers
    a couple of months ago on this problem. The service centers are replacing
    the top cover assembly under warranty with new ones that have the speakers
    and touchpad grounded properly. Also in rare cases the static electricity
    may have damaged components on the system board requiring its replacement.

    Get yours in for service before it's too late.

    me/2

    :>latichever wrote:
    :>> I'm quite annoyed that my Toshiba is overheating and shutting down.
    :>> (A75-s206 PIV). I bought Toshiba after doing what I thought was due
    :>> diligence and reports of good frequency of repair ratings. I
    :>previously
    :>> had a Dell Inspiron. It had it's own problems--several cracked hinge
    :>> repairs. Fortunately, Dell did the repairs under warranty without
    :>> complaint.
    :>>
    :>> It overheated and powered down about a month after I bought it. The
    :>> problem has become progressively worse and will shut down when I'm
    :>not
    :>> putting a lot of strain in the CPU, etc. I have it on a raised tray
    :>> permit air circulation.
    :>>

    me/2, Mar 6, 2005
  10. I think you are both (erik & latichever) missing something: DIRT

    All of the modern notebooks use fans and heatsinks (sometimes on the end
    of a "heat pipe" rather than actually on the CPU. On a number of
    occasions, we've opened up notebooks to find the fins of the heat sink
    (really a heat exchanger) clogged with dust, hair and various junk.
    It's only slightly different than what you find in a desktop, but often
    a bit worse, and with worse consequences due to the confined spaces and
    airflow patterns. A can of compressed air makes everything "right" in a
    few seconds.

    Barry Watzman, Mar 7, 2005
  11. latichever

    comter Guest

    that is not always true with my toshiba it always gets very hot and now
    the heat damaged the motherboard so it does not always turn on.

    comter, Mar 16, 2005
  12. latichever

    comter Guest

    yes you should toshiba are not rugged laptops they are very fragile
    laptops.

    comter, Mar 16, 2005