    please?

    Thanks!
    Neddy

    Malcolm, Feb 2, 2005

  2. Malcolm

    Alex Quant Guest

    Did you try testing the slots with one stick? Its possible one of the slots
    may be defective.

    Alex Quant

    ~ Reply-To is set to a valid email address ~

    ~ www.alexquant.net ~

    Alex Quant, Feb 3, 2005

  3. Malcolm

    Mike S. Guest

    It sounds like the two memory modules are not compatible with each other.
    This is why I buy only from Crucial. If you buy memory for a specific
    machine and configuration, they guarantee it will work.

    I upgraded a Sat Pro 4600 a couple of years ago using Crucial memory and
    had no problems whatsoever.

    Mike S., Feb 3, 2005
  4. Malcolm

    Malcolm Guest

    Thanks for the response Alex. I understood that if you only use a single
    memory stick it has to be installed in the first slot, so I have tried each
    stick singly in that slot - no problems. Is it OK to just have a single
    stick in the second slot? If so, I will try that. A faulty slot
    certainly would explain the problem.

    Cheers

    Malcolm, Feb 3, 2005
  5. Malcolm

    Malcolm Guest

    Thanks Mike, you could be right, but I figured that each stick working fine
    on its own should mean that they are compatible. I understand that if one
    was slower than the other, both would run at the slower speed but I thought
    that they should work....

    Unfortunately I bought the machine for a friend of mine to learn on - he has
    no cash to spare, otherwise I would have suggested a new upgrade for him.
    He's a graphic artist and realises that he must have some computer skills to
    get a job these days, so this machine is his starting point, and doubling
    the memory seemed like a cheap way of getting the performance up to an
    adequate level for him. Maybe he will be stuck with 128MB until he can
    afford to buy a new stick from someone like Crucial.

    Cheers!

    Malcolm, Feb 3, 2005
  6. Malcolm

    Alex Quant Guest

    I had a Sat. Pro 4270 with a faulty memory slot out of two; the laptop
    simply would not "see" any memory in that slot, no matter what combination
    of memory I tried, and I tried a number of different sizes and makes. You've
    proved the memory is OK, I think its fair to say the other slot has a fault.

    Alex Quant, Feb 3, 2005
  7. Malcolm

    Malcolm Guest

    Sounds about right Alex. I will look for dry joints - any other likely
    culprit that I may be able to do anything about?

    Cheers

    Malcolm, Feb 3, 2005
  8. Malcolm

    ikenfixit Guest

    Toshibas do have RAM slot solder joint problems.. We get these in on
    occasion for repairs. These arent too bad to repair as theres plenty
    of room between pins and contacts. If you need help yell.

    ikenfixit, Feb 3, 2005
  9. Malcolm

    Malcolm Guest

    Thanks - I'll dust off my trusty soldering iron and take a look.

    Cheers

    Malcolm, Feb 3, 2005