Save / Restore /Alter Bios Settings P4C800-E DELUX

Discussion in 'Asus' started by TONY STEWART, May 14, 2004.

  1. TONY STEWART

    TONY STEWART Guest

    I hope my queries are reasonable as I am new to the area of bios
    settings.

    Is it possible to save to a file and then later restore all of the
    bios settings of the P4C800-E DELUX ?

    I have found some programs which would appear to only save the
    standard AT settings and probably not the extended set of this board
    and they may not even work at all with this board.

    I have of course written down a paper record of the bios settings (
    all 30 screens of them ) but it would be far better to use the
    computer to save and then restore the settings when needed.

    Also is it possible to change specific bios settings from a program
    rather than the bios setup screens. I imagine that the changes would
    only take effect after the next boot.

    If a program of this type exists for dos or windows could someone
    please give me a pointer to it?

    Thank you for any help or guidance.

    TONY STEWART, May 14, 2004

  2. TONY STEWART

    Tim Guest

    Tony,

    The golden rule with bios, is you change only what you need to change.
    In fact, that is a quite good general rule for computers overall.

    If there are 30 screens, then I would be surprised that you would need to
    make changes to any more than a couple.

    The correct procedure for setting up a bios is Load Bios Defaults and change
    only what is necessary.

    If you are making a lot of changes then chances are you are either
    a) overclocking and know what you are doing so understand 100% of everything
    that is getting changed
    b) making changes where they are not needed
    c) a highly unusual OS / hardware combination.

    I would have to say that with the early bios versions with 865 and 875 intel
    chips that there has never been a time when so many people have had to make
    changes to settings to get stability. In nearly all cases later bios
    versions have improved things to the point where the number of changes is
    not minimal in most circumstances.

    So I suggest you try to short cut things and find out what you do need to
    change, understand why, and then you won't need to write anything down.

    There is going to be a big maintenance headache in the future with 865 / 875
    chipset mobos, early bios's and certain types of ram... people will forget,
    so a sticker in the case may be a good idea for those that come after. (too
    late).

    - Tim

    Tim, May 15, 2004

  3. TONY STEWART

    John Guest

    On the AOpen AX6BC Pro you could save your bios settings (to the
    motherboard's eprom?) and restore them later. It was a great feature and I
    wish all boards had it

    John, May 15, 2004