    played. Doesn't matter if it's Win Media Player, a midi player or
    Windows playing a sound. Using driver 5.12.1.512. Anyone know what's
    the problem? Thx.

    sweepster, Jan 8, 2007

  2. Off hand sounds like a bad driver or a bad sound card. Does it blue
    screen on you? What do yo mean by crash?

    Rob

    Robert B Dubrey IV, Jan 9, 2007

  3. sweepster

    shegeek72 Guest

    Screen goes black, then computer restarts (like hitting reset). I
    looked for a newer driver, but couldn't find one. Tried installing an
    older driver, but driver setup said it "couldn't find" the sound card.

    shegeek72, Jan 9, 2007
  4. Sounds like a piece of hardware failing for sure there. More than
    likely the sound card. Hopefully it isn't integrated so you can replace it.

    Rob

    Robert B Dubrey IV, Jan 9, 2007
  5. sweepster

    shegeek72 Guest

    I uninstalled the driver, rebooted then reinstalled it and, so far,
    things are working ok. :)

    shegeek72, Jan 9, 2007
  6. sweepster

    paulmd Guest

    While the other posters are most likely correct, that the card or
    driver is bad, I came across a bios update for a particular Dell
    machine that fixes an Audigy sound card crash.

    What are the make and model of your machine?

    paulmd, Jan 9, 2007
  7. sweepster

    Folk Guest

    Sound like you may have it sorted, but if you want to prevent your
    computer from automatically rebooting when an error occurs (which
    allows you to actually *see* what caused the error) then do this:

    1. Right-click on My Computer and select 'Properties'.
    2. Click on the 'Advanced' tab.
    3. In the 'Startup and Recovery' section, click on 'Settings'.
    4. Under the 'System Failure' section, uncheck
    'Automatically Restart'.

    Folk, Jan 9, 2007