SB emulation and NF2 boards?

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by straiton, Dec 1, 2003.

  1. straiton

    straiton Guest

    Does anyone have SBemulation working on NF2 boards under win98?

    Just wondering if anyone else has SB emulation working in DOS on Win98 with
    8rda+ because i'm starting to think
    it may be an NF2 problem

    I want to run an old DOS game(USNF) through Win98(not SE).This game used to
    run (dos mode)with sound on an Abit BF6 .Now runs (dos mode)but no sound on
    NF2.Only Nforce drivers available are for 98SE or ME only, so the onboard
    sound is not
    an option here.Installed NF2 2.03 drivers but audio does not fully install.I
    have installed an SBlive Value.After sorting out various irq conflicts,
    Device Manager shows everything ok.Only PCI USB controller has driver(NF2)
    issues. I have sound in Windows.

    i have loaded emm386,himem etc for dos.
    BIOS - have irq 5 reserved for isa-legacy card(SB emulation),mpu-401 at
    300,irq10(only 5 or 10 option)
    SB emulation ( by sbecfg)is address220,irq5,dma lo 1 ,dma hi 5 ,mpu-401 at
    330
    If mpu is set to irq 5 in BIOS get SBE conflicts.Disabling mpu (in game)
    does not help.
    Running sbego(sb emulation test) gives error message>Is SB emulation
    enabled??
    I have searched the Creative's site Knowledge Base and also something about
    SB emulation requiring non maskable interrupt(NMI) support.

    Can anyone shed some light?

    PS - running quake v1.06 in win98(NOT full dos mode) also has no
    sound.Console says could not reset sbs_init : snd_dma_init failed

    --
    Steve H
    Epox 8RDA+ v1.1,Vdd mod

    straiton, Dec 1, 2003

  2. straiton

    rms Guest

    Did you disable the onboard sound in bios?

    rms

    rms, Dec 1, 2003

  3. straiton

    straiton Guest

    i run winxp also,and left ac97 in bios on auto,so i could have Dolby Digital
    in XP, but disable Nforce audio components in Win98 device manager( because
    it doesnt work anyway).Doesnt matter if i disable onboard in bios or not,
    still get no emulation

    straiton, Dec 1, 2003
  4. straiton

    straiton Guest

    i tend to think its an issue with the board because quake has no sound too

    straiton, Dec 1, 2003
  5. straiton

    rms Guest

    Ok, It looks like you installed the nforce2 audio drivers under Win98 with
    the onboard audio enabled. I would first try disabling onboard audio in
    bios, uninstalling and reinstalling the nforce2 drivers, to eliminate this
    as a factor, especially if they are not installing fully now.

    Also, did you try booting to a dos diskette with these emu drivers and does
    it work then. I'd also check Win98 dma/irq resources in devman to see if
    another dma channel is available.

    Other places to ask: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim and
    www.nforcershq.com Audio forum.

    rms

    rms, Dec 1, 2003
  6. straiton

    straiton Guest

    from what i have read there are no NF2 audio drivers for win98, only for SE
    and ME.

    i am struggling a bit with recalling all this DOS stuff and memory
    management.I may try booting to full dos and then running it, but i thought
    the MSDOS mode option from win98 was the same?
    i have tried many other address,irq,dma values and still get > is sb
    emulation enabled (from sbego)

    thanks for your replies

    straiton, Dec 1, 2003
  7. straiton

    straiton Guest

    straiton, Dec 3, 2003
  8. straiton

    rms Guest

    Try VDMSound, as is mentioned in the url you listed, it's very popular.
    BTW, there is a website dedicated to getting old Dos games to run,
    http://vogons.zetafleet.com/

    Did you ask on the flight-sim newsgroup? Lots of people have run USNF
    there.

    rms

    rms, Dec 3, 2003