SB Live 1024 with Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Soundblaster Live' started by John Kingscott, Jan 4, 2004.

  1. I've had this problem for a while but now I really am out of ideas.
    I have:
    Athlon 1600+
    A7V266-E
    MSI G4 4200Ti

    With the bios set to:
    IRQ set to auto assign
    PCI slots enabled
    PNP OS set to no (is this really right?)
    Onboard sound set to disabled

    On this I have done a clean install of Windows 2000. I install the drivers
    for the graphics card plus norton AV and internet security.
    I install the sound blaster, boot and windows picks up the card - but no
    sound on reboot. I check device manager, and listed is:
    Audio codecs
    Creative SB Live! Basic (WDM)
    Game Port for Creative SB Live!
    Legacy Audio Drivers
    Legacy Video Capture Device
    Media Control Devices
    Video Codec

    When I try to run the (new) driver CD from creative the set up app tells me
    I have NO soundblaster installed. If I try to hit reinstall driver in device
    manager it refuses to use the CD.
    The card used to work on this setup with win98 (but with the same problem
    regarding updated drivers) and I the only problem is now I have gone up to
    Windows 200 (same problem with windows XP btw).
    And yes, the plugs are in the right sockets...
    I've read many FAQ and help - but seems to refer to loss of some sounds but
    not all - and not when everything seems to be fine.

    Heeellpp!

    John
    UK
    And I've tried the Kx drivers (work fine but still no sound).

    John Kingscott, Jan 4, 2004

  2. John Kingscott

    Kevin Lawton Guest

    | I've had this problem for a while but now I really am out of ideas.
    | I have:
    | Athlon 1600+
    | A7V266-E
    | MSI G4 4200Ti
    |
    | With the bios set to:
    | IRQ set to auto assign
    | PCI slots enabled
    | PNP OS set to no (is this really right?)
    | Onboard sound set to disabled
    <snip>
    Hey, John, Windoze 2000 IS a plug-and-play OS !
    Why not try setting PNP OS to 'yes' in the BIOS ?
    A couple of my old Win2K machines use SoundBlaster 1024s and they work
    fine.
    Haven't bothered 'updating' the drivers as the ones which came with the
    sound cards seem to be good enough.
    Allthough Win NT 3.5 and Win NT 4.0 were not plug-and-pray, Win NT 5 (ak
    Win2k) IS !
    Why not give it a try ?
    Kevin.

    Kevin Lawton, Jan 7, 2004

  3. Tar, yeah I thought that PNP thing was wrong too... never mind

    John Kingscott, Jan 8, 2004
  4. John Kingscott

    JAD Guest

    'Reset configuration data' to YES has much more of an effect than PnP os installed....as most modern boards and windows deal with
    IRQ routing in different ways.

    JAD, Jan 8, 2004