SB Live 5.1 vs Asus AD1985 =?ISO-8859-1?Q?SoundMAC=AE?=

Discussion in 'Asus' started by @(none), Aug 14, 2004.

  1. @(none)

    @(none) Guest

    I have just built a PC from someone with the following specs...

    Asus P4P800-SE motherboard with this on board sound device...
    ADI AD 1985 SoundMAX® 6-Channel CODEC
    Audio Sensing and Enumeration Technology
    S/PDIF out interface support

    P4 2.8Ghz
    512 MB DDR400

    Although it might not be to much of a big deal with a 2.8Ghz processor,
    I have the on board sound device disabled in the BIOS because I was
    afraid the take some resources. So for now, I have opted for a Sound
    Blaster Live 5.1 taken from another PC.

    Basicaly, which is better?
    Thanks in advance
    Eddie Crismond

    @(none), Aug 14, 2004

  2. @(none)

    end user Guest

    Go for the SB 5.1 I tried the on board sound card and although it was
    acceptable the SB is better.

    Locust

    end user, Aug 15, 2004

  3. @(none)

    Kylesb Guest

    | Go for the SB 5.1 I tried the on board sound card and although it
    was
    | acceptable the SB is better.
    |
    | Locust
    |
    | On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 14:51:21 -0400, "@(none)" <""cris\"@(none)">
    | wrote:
    |

    | >I have just built a PC from someone with the following specs...
    | >
    | >Asus P4P800-SE motherboard with this on board sound device...
    | >ADI AD 1985 SoundMAX® 6-Channel CODEC
    | >Audio Sensing and Enumeration Technology
    | >S/PDIF out interface support
    | >
    | >P4 2.8Ghz
    | >512 MB DDR400
    | >
    | >Although it might not be to much of a big deal with a 2.8Ghz
    processor,
    | >I have the on board sound device disabled in the BIOS because I was
    | >afraid the take some resources. So for now, I have opted for a
    Sound
    | >Blaster Live 5.1 taken from another PC.
    | >
    | >Basicaly, which is better?
    | >Thanks in advance
    | >Eddie Crismond

    you may be surprised to find out which "sound system" requires more
    CPU cycles or system resources. It would not surprise me if the
    SBLive drivers eat more CPU than the onboard solution. I'm certain the
    sblive is not conservative in allocating memory for soundfonts. I
    typically try and minimize the amount of memory allocated to
    soundfonts with my SBLive 5.1 (sb0100 card).

    Kylesb, Aug 15, 2004
  4. @(none)

    John Smith Guest

    sblive of course (because its bigger and fatter)

    John Smith, Aug 16, 2004