    away from CD mains connection ? Is this correct !
    This is on the 503+.

    Den

    Den, Apr 7, 2004

  2. Probably. Many of the early sound cards with CD-ROM connectors used
    proprietary CD-ROM controllers that worked only with a specific brand of
    CD-ROM. That would explain why your new Sony IDE CD-ROM does not work.

    As for the cable appearing to be backwards, well, who knows? It is a
    proprietary connection, so I guess they can do anything they want.

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Apr 7, 2004

  3. Den

    Den Guest

    The really odd thing is that all three items worked fine under W98SE,
    it was only because it would not work under XP when I tried it.

    Now I am getting most items with sound being clipped including
    most items on W98 CD etc, the only thing that works OK is a Radio
    card (W95) even MP9 failed

    The thing I wanted was a sound card that worked at low volume
    without one channel disappearing when using headphones.
    Tried so far;
    Opti ISA card
    C-Media 8738 PCI
    Of course local supplier will have to order a 16bit SB sound card
    while they can supply later 4.1, 5.1 & 6.1 cards.

    Den

    Den, Apr 8, 2004
  4. Are you using the sound card to connect your CD-ROMs, or just to play back music? Have
    you tried changing the "Digital CD playback" setting for the CD-ROM in the Device
    Manager?

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Apr 8, 2004
  5. Den

    Den Guest

    No I did not try that, but have now switched back to the Opti ISA card,
    using the basic 933 driver on the W98 CD and things seem OK.

    Well apart from BIOS and W98 now missing the Sony CD-ROM. DOH!

    Den

    Den, Apr 9, 2004
  6. Den

    Den Guest

    Though looking in BIOS I see the following. (HD 1 20GB HD 2 4 20GB partitions)
    Primary Master User 20GB drive 1
    Primary Slave Auto 0M
    Secondary Master Auto 0M
    Secondary Slave Auto 0M
    This could be the reason that CD-ROM number two is not identified,
    yet the CD-RW which was set to master before is identified in BIOS & W98.

    Den

    Den, Apr 9, 2004
  7. Den

    Kylesb Guest

    I have a Panasonic interface 2x cdrom if you need one, believe it's
    the cr563, with Reveal brand name on it, if you want it, it's yours
    for the cost of shipping.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kylesb, Apr 9, 2004
  8. Den

    Brad Clarke Guest

    I had got a couple of those as well, but got rid of them a few weeks
    ago.

    Brad Clarke, Apr 9, 2004
  9. Den

    Kylesb Guest

    Heh, I was actually carrying the one I have out to the trash when I
    remembered this thread.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kylesb, Apr 9, 2004
  10. Den

    Den Guest

    Oh dear I still have lurking somewhere a couple of full height disk drives
    yes the single sided one's, and the floppies with modified extra slot cut to
    use both sides of the disks.

    Den

    Den, Apr 10, 2004