SB16 PNP Error: Wave Device not ready

Discussion in 'Soundcards' started by WB, Apr 8, 2005.

  1. WB

    WB Guest

    I have an AMD K6/2 500 cpu, Win98 SE, SB16 PNP sound card, 256 megs memory.

    I have a voice recognition program that allows me to speak a command into my
    microphone and then it will send the correct keystrokes to the currently
    open application. This works fine *except* when the application is a 3D
    game. If I try to run both the game and the voice recognition program, the
    latter returns: 'Error: Wave device not ready', then exits.

    I suspect it's because both programs are trying to allocate the sound card
    at once, and yet, I know many people who do this successfully, and searches
    have *not* returned any help.

    FWIW, DirectX Diagnostics doesn't find any problems with my sound card, but
    on the 'Music' tab, it *does* say that 'Default Port Acceleration: Not
    Available'.

    The sound card is at least 8 years old, but I have had no problems w/it
    before, and it is a full duplex sound card.

    If I need to upgrade to a different sound card, what is the cheapest choice,
    since I never use it for any critical uses, etc.

    Another possibility: Could I just add a second sound card to this system?
    Or, would the IRQ's, DMA's etc. conflict.

    Thanks in advance.

    WB, Apr 8, 2005

  2. WB

    TS Guest

    I suspect it's because both programs are trying to allocate the sound card
    Right.Are you using VxD (Win95 style) drivers? I´m also using a SB16
    on a similar system, but under Win2000 instead - it works well with
    multiple applications running at the same time. Check wether there are
    WDM drivers for the SB16 available, these provide playback for
    multiple applications at the same time by default.

    Also check wether you are using 2 DMA channels for full duplex, and
    try wether both applications use the same sample rate.
    I´m not sure about the programs you´re using, but typically only
    DirectSound / DirectSound capture
    Any simple PCI card should do, most ISA cards as well (note that these
    might be a bit tricky to configure, but they will work fine afterwards
    as well)
    I´ve used up to 4 different sound cards in a single PC without
    problems...
    No problem with PCI cards (you might need to disable "legacy SB
    emulation, though"). For ISA cards, make sure that you can assign DMA
    and IRQ settings freely: Some cards are hardwired to DMA1, which might
    conflict with the existing card.

    TS, Apr 8, 2005

  3. WB

    WB Guest

    This computer runs Win98SE, so the drivers are .vxd yes. The DirectX
    Diagnostic has a tab to test the speech capability for use in games, and it
    passes the test. It's definitely full duplex because I can record and play
    at the same time.

    I have no control over what sample rate the game uses, and the only place
    I've found to control the recording sample rate is when you click the
    Advanced Properties of the Multimedia icon in Control Panel, and it only has
    3 settings, and I've tried them all.

    It's a PNP card, so it creates this environment setting whenever I boot:
    BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H1 P330 T6
    baldwinwh (at) netscape (dot) net

    WB, Apr 10, 2005