SB61g2 - Audio Problems / Dead USBs

Discussion in 'Shuttle' started by mschubb, Jul 2, 2003.

  1. mschubb

    mschubb Guest

    I just assembled my first Shuttle system:

    Shuttle SB61g2
    2.4 P4 w/800fsb
    2 x 512 corsair DDR400
    80gb SATA seagate HDD
    LG CRRW/DVDROM and a floppy

    Installed latest drivers. Ran sisoft sandra burn-in... everything
    seems great EXCEPT:

    1) Front panel mic input and headphone jack are NOISY. Actually, much
    more noise and distortion than actual sound. Anyone have suggestions
    on how to troubleshoot this?

    2) Front USB ports are DOA. (rear 4 ports are fine) Is there something
    I was missed in the install? Or some activation step?

    OR could these problems be related?!?

    Thanks in advance for any help...

    mschubb, Jul 2, 2003

  2. mschubb

    ranchhand Guest

    re: USB Ports.
    I'm not acquainted with your Shuttle board; I have a couple of AK39N
    boards that I really like. I will assume (correctly I hope) that the
    4 USBs on the rear are installed and active on the mainboard itself. I
    will also assume that the front panel ports openings are in your case
    itself. If so, that means that you must run a USB cable from the
    front two ports and plug them in to the mainboard USB sockets. IF
    it's like the 39N, you must purchase an optional cable, install the
    two USB sockets into the receiving "holes" in the front of the case,
    run the cable back and plug the plugs into the USB extension socket
    mounted on the mainboard. Follow the directions in your manual.

    Also, you mentioned installing "drivers". Be sure that you installed
    the latest chipset drivers, as the chipsets control your USB ports. I
    would assume that you did since your rear ports work.

    I've done a lot of assuming here, and it reminds me of "long Kiss
    Goodnight":
    "Assumption make an ass out of you and umption."

    re: your headphone probs. I remember someone in a forum had that
    problem, and I can't remember exactly what the remedy was, but it had
    something to do with disabling a setting in your Control Panel/Audio
    that was causing interference.
    If I can remember exactly what it was I will post back.

    ranchhand, Jul 2, 2003

  3. mschubb

    Ralh1zzttg Guest

    If the rear ports (sound & USB) are fine I would suspect pinched or bad
    cables to the front ports as they are all tied together.

    You did not specify video (unless it's just the onboard Extreme graphics),
    there is a known issue with the onboard audio on the SB61G2 and Radeon
    9500/9700 cards that causes bad audio.

    Ralh1zzttg, Jul 3, 2003
  4. mschubb

    mschubb Guest

    (The SB61G2 is a shuttle small form factor bare bones system.... and
    yes, I'm using onboard video.)

    Thanks for the suggestions... the front USB was a cable problem.
    Just reseated the connector and now it seems okay.

    The audio noise still has me baffled... tried about every possible
    setting in the AC97 audio manager, but still getting audio garbage.

    I'm gonna keep fiddling, but I welcome more ideas.

    Thanks!

    mschubb, Jul 3, 2003
  5. mschubb

    Rich Tong Guest

    I've had similar problems. The front USB were working and then died.
    I'll try reseating the cables as suggested.

    On my machine, the audio seemed to work and now is completely dead.
    I've reinstalled the Realtek drivers, but nothing from either the
    front or back panel. So, I don't have any ideas for you. I can see
    that Media Player thinks things are player. Frustrating.

    Rich Tong, Jul 23, 2003
  6. mschubb

    bobsalt Guest

    howdy all. I can confirm about the audio problems..I set up my own
    machine with a radeon 9800 and i get the noise...its better if i plug
    my headphones in the back port for some reason. I am setting up
    another SB61G2 with a radeon 7500 AIW and it sounds great...

    hope they get a fix out for this

    PS I thought the audi was hosed, no jacks work sat all, then I noticed
    the FRONT internal audio connector was unplugged..actaully the rear
    was unplugged to , but I noticed that right off the bat when
    installing stuff...

    hope this helps!

    bobsalt, Jul 29, 2003
  7. mschubb

    bobsalt Guest

    nevermind...this one has it too just not as bad as my first SB61g2

    seems like a hardware problem, so a bios update wont fix it...or will it?

    seem pretty shoddy to sell something for $320 with that bad of audio quality...

    if I didnt like it so much , I'd send it back!!-lol

    bobsalt, Jul 30, 2003