SBLive not a real contender!

Discussion in 'Soundblaster Live' started by skeptic, Sep 21, 2004.

  1. skeptic

    skeptic Guest

    Seeing how I was unable to find anybody with knowledge
    about the new Sound Blaster SB Live 5.1 cards, I must
    therefore believe that these cards have no genuine support
    group after all!

    All I required was a simple Console 32 application, fully
    Win95/98SE compatible, for playing a 1 second tone using
    nothing more than the SB Live 5.1 hardware itself!
    (Nothing elaborate, simply generate a clean audio tone of
    800 to 880 Hz for 1 solid ssecond.)

    In the much-missed good old days of practical hardware,
    the Sound Blaster ISA cards easily allowed you to problem
    the OPL-2(3) chipset for producing tones!
    Certainly there is a means to do this with these newwer PCI
    32-bit cards, I just can not imagine why no body is saying
    how?

    I need something that must work in win95 and win 98/se
    (since that is the environment most used by people these days,
    and the essential need here),
    call up a MS-DOS prompt, type in the name of a small EXE
    application, and presto! a nice solid tone is heard.

    Ideally, the audio frequency and duration is what I originally
    wanted, since this is easily done with OPL-2(3); but I'd
    settle for a hard coded Console-32 that plays 800 to 880 Hz
    (pick one), for a duration of one solid second.

    Is anyone at all willing to take up this little challenge and
    get back to me? Isn't anyone out there genuinely smart enough
    to accomplish this? Or is all the hype about these newer cards
    just nonsense and foolishness?

    email:
    AIM: SirSkeptic

    Take this challenge, prove to me this is possible!

    skeptic, Sep 21, 2004

  2. Why don't you record this tone as a wave and enter the wav file into a
    DOS command prompt and it will just play? You should be able to use it

    Sharanga Dayananda, Sep 21, 2004

  3. skeptic

    skeptic Guest

    In other words nobody else wants to share how to get the most practical
    use out of todays SB sound cards? Any fool can play a wave file.
    I have dozens of programs that can generate PCM data on the fly for a
    specific frequency, combination of frequencies, etc., (simple sine waves
    you know and all you need is the sample-size, etc.), but thats not what
    is required here.

    Hardware based audio frequency tones have many benefits over the
    "clunky" spoon-feeding of PCM data....

    I am really amazed nobody realizes what is lost by not being able to
    work with these cards on this level! I guess real computer users have
    become extinct!

    Should anyone have a method of generating audio tones for a given
    duration using SB-Live 5.1 PCI cards, PLEASE feel free to contact me.

    Hard to believe how so very much more flexible ISA hardware is.

    skeptic, Sep 26, 2004
  4. skeptic

    Nobody Guest

    Is this typical English bigotry about technical ignorance? The Fm chip
    is take over by virtual synthesizer already for a long time, and it is
    hard to believe somebody does not know it.

    English freaks!

    Regards,

    Bart

    Nobody, Sep 27, 2004
  5. skeptic

    Lenny Guest

    People tend to go for the easiest and most convenient solutions, what you
    need seems to be so far away from the mainstream nobody's ever heard of
    whatever it is you want to do. What do you need this stuff for anyway, and
    why do you need an entire PC to do it with? A tone generator can be
    assembled with one IC, a battery and a few assorted electronics components,
    Google could probably find you a set of blueprints ready to use within 15
    minutes of searching.
    Problem is, "hardware frequency tones" are so primitive and useless that
    everybody's abandoned them long ago. Nobody wants a PC that sounds like a
    friggin Game & Watch from the 80s anymore. It's called "technical
    progress"...
    What, did the guy do something to you or why are you acting like such a
    smarty-pants a-hole? Now go here, read the docs and make your own program if
    you're such a hot shit computer user:
    http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/docs.php?language=en Here you'll find all you
    need to know to program the on-board DSP of the ET10k1/2 chips to emit
    whatever frequency sine tone you want for however many seconds. Now stop
    trying to insult people's knowledge for no reason, alright?
    The word you're looking for isn't "flexible", because old SBLive cards and
    the ISA bus they sit on are all quite limited. It's more a question of
    "simpler", as in "primitive".

    Lenny, Sep 27, 2004
  6. skeptic

    S.P. Goodman Guest

    This almost sounds like a troll though. SBLive cards ain't exactly FOR
    generating "tones". If one wants that kind of assembler-programming fun the
    motherboard and PC speaker would appear to be this poster's preferred
    medium.
    I'm still waiting for cell/mobile phones to play wav files ala Windows. In
    the meantime they've been sounding like, well, old DOS-based games that used
    beeps. For everything.

    It occurs to me that one of the first guys I knew at Creative (I still have
    the "Blast Heard Around the World" t-shirt given to me at Comdex '90)
    learned his chops programming bizarre Star Trek-phaser-type noises through
    the PC speaker and moved on to simulating vocal effects. I won't diss this
    intensely-technical process, except to say that nowadays programming sounds
    like this is a bit more of a knowledge base builder than it is something
    that results in something games companies want. Perhaps mobile/cell phone
    makers might like this a lot more.
    A reasonable challenge. Let's see.
    On the other hand I have to admit that at least with ISA one had more
    control over interrupt-setting. But that's for another post. :)

    S.P. Goodman, Oct 12, 2004