    and/or can the flag which is set at shutdown be removed?
    Thanks
    Chuck

    KA6UUP, May 10, 2005

  2. KA6UUP

    Tom Scales Guest

    I'd be worried that the hard drive is failing. Download the testing
    software from the drive manufacturer and run that.

    Also, upgrade to XP. Not related to your question. but it is so much better
    on an 8100

    Tom Scales, May 10, 2005

  3. KA6UUP

    Jerry Park Guest

    The system may be detecting a problem and trying to fix it. Try running
    scandisk at night while you sleep.

    Jerry Park, May 10, 2005
  4. KA6UUP

    KA6UUP Guest

    I have run both the Dell diagnostic and Scandisk in DOS mode.
    There are no problems with either one.
    This could be related somehow, to my USB HD which I use for backup. The
    problem appeared after doing a backup.
    Thanks
    Chuck

    KA6UUP, May 11, 2005
  5. KA6UUP

    S.Lewis Guest

    Yes, you may be right. I typically receive a checkdisk scan after I mirror
    my 2nd hard disk. Generally though, it happens just once and WinXP is
    satisfied after that initial reboot and beyond.\

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 11, 2005
  6. KA6UUP

    Hank Arnold Guest

    Somehow the "dirty bit" has been set. Windows will continue to insist on
    running scandisk until it is fixed. There is a problem and disabling it is
    like putting a penny behind a fuse (remember them?) that has blown...... You
    will have a crisis one day and you'll only have yourself to blame...

    First thing is to back up any critical files ASAP.....

    Next, turn it back on and let it run to completion. If it happens again,
    then you need to replace the hard drive right away....

    Hank Arnold, May 11, 2005
  7. KA6UUP

    SGD Guest

    Most likely it's been turned on to check after a bad shutdown and this can
    occur even though it seems like a good shutdown (it happened to me on my ME
    system for about a week and then after running Norton's and found the
    cross-linked files, stopped.

    Anyhow, check: Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System
    Information/Tools/System Configuration utility, click on Advanced, and under
    Advanced Troublshooting Settings check "disable Scandisk after bad
    shutdown". That should stop it from popping up at startup.

    SGD, May 11, 2005
  8. KA6UUP

    Ben Myers Guest

    I would download and run the drive manufacturer's hard disk diagnostic software,
    essentially the same software used by the manufacturer in the factory and by
    service tech to recertify the drive. Scumdisk is a poor disk diagnostic. The
    Dell diagnostics are little better if they from within the Windows environment.
    The manufacturer's diagnostics provide the definitive and last answer regarding
    the health of a disk drive... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 11, 2005
  9. KA6UUP

    Erronius Guest

    Erronius, May 12, 2005
  10. KA6UUP

    KA6UUP Guest

    I have run both the Dell diagnostic and Scandisk in DOS mode.
    There are no problems with either one.
    This could be related somehow, to my USB HD which I use for backup. The
    problem appeared after doing a backup.
    The problem has been solved.
    Thanks to all who responded.
    Chuck