    print the straightened JPG to PDF - but that seems convoluted.

    Is there freeware that will rotate a PDF page by just a degree
    or three (just like The Gimp rotates an image)?

    Fran Jones, Oct 8, 2013

  2. Not when you consider that the PDF is probably just a wrapper around a jpeg
    image.

    Robert Heller, Oct 9, 2013

  3. Fran Jones

    Peter Flynn Guest

    The PDF is just an enclosure. The image is inside it. What you need to
    do is extract the image, rotate it, and recreate the PDF, eg

    $ pdfimages -j scanfile.pdf scan
    $ convert scan-001.jpg -rotate 2 scanfile.pdf

    pdfimages is part of the Poppler Utilities; the -j forces JPG output;
    the third argument is a base-name for the extracted image (images lose
    their names when you embed them in a PDF, so they need naming when they
    are extracted). The first (or only) file will use this base-name plus a
    hyphen and a serial number starting at 1, plus the extension.
    convert is the ImageMagick conversion program.

    ///Peter

    Peter Flynn, Oct 10, 2013
  4. Fran Jones

    yufan Guest

    Why not have a try with Foxit PDF Reader. It's more fast and safe.

    yufan, Oct 11, 2013
  5. Fran Jones

    yufan Guest

    Perhaps Foxit Reader may fit your needs. It provides PDF creation / PDF
    conversion. Most important----it is free.

    yufan, Oct 11, 2013
  6. Fran Jones

    occam Guest

    I do not use 3200, but a different HP product (3-in-one). After a scan,
    one of the options I am offered (apart from rotate 90% left, right) is
    'Skewscan'. This corrects (automatically) the issue you are describing.
    Are you sure you do not have a similar post-scan option?

    occam, Oct 11, 2013
  7. Fran Jones

    Axel Berger Guest

    Not in this case. An embedded image is a rectangle with height and width
    and that doesn't change with rotations through right angles. Any other
    angle creates crooked shapes that are much harder to deal with.

    Axel Berger, Oct 11, 2013
  8. Fran Jones

    Axel Berger Guest

    Exactly. A task like that is far into the realm of a graphics package
    and strictly out of the task a something, whose whole job is to take an
    image and embed it.

    Axel

    Axel Berger, Oct 14, 2013
  9. Fran Jones

    tlvp Guest

    You'd be better off feeding your printer/scanner the document again, trying
    to minimize the page-skew of its document feeder :) . HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp

    tlvp, Feb 15, 2014