    power on the second power supply? We both figure it would required a
    jumper on the 24 pin connector but which pins?

    Any Ideas on this or a power supply that could handle the load?

    Custom Computers, Feb 17, 2007

  2. Custom Computers

    DaveW Guest

    If you look around on line there are quality PSU companies now selling 1 KW
    and 1.2 KW PSU's. They're expensive , but they will do the job in his
    EXTREME computer.

    DaveW, Feb 18, 2007

  3. Custom Computers

    zeroklk Guest

    zeroklk, Feb 18, 2007
  4. Thanks Zero, thats the info I was looking for. I thought I had the
    link to it saved. He has been looking at the bigger psu's; even foung
    a 1400 watt unit. It's pricey at $500 but then its also watercooled.

    Custom Computers, Feb 18, 2007
  5. Custom Computers

    Art Guest

    Here's another idea:

    Get a fast NAS device. I got a Buffalo NAS that is 400 GB and gigabit
    connected. I use that for main storage (about $300). It sends itself into
    sleep mode when not being used (adjustable by the user of course). Then get
    a 500 GB internal (about $149.00). That's two drives instead of 7. If you
    need to stripe your internals for speed gaming get another 500 GB internal.
    Your still running 4 less drives and one of them is on it's own power
    supply. You even get an FTP, media, and iTunes server that's always on as
    part of the deal (the Buffalo).

    Your machine will run cooler (more airflow), you're PSU won't be overworked,
    your electric bill won't go up and you've spent less than a KW PSU and
    water-cooling to make it all work.

    Art

    Art, Feb 18, 2007
  6. Custom Computers

    First of One Guest

    First of One, Feb 18, 2007
  7. Yes he was looking at that to use if the two power supplys worked, he
    wasn't looking at doing this as a final solution. He was just trying
    to make sure it wasn't some other problem. But the outcome is good,
    for some reason it wouldn't work with two psu's as well. Would blue
    screen at XP startup just like if he tried using his original 650 watt
    supply. So he wiped the operating system and reloaded XP and all is
    working fine now in crossfire mode with all drives on the 650 watt
    unit.

    Custom Computers, Feb 19, 2007
  8. Custom Computers

    Ian O Guest

    First of One wrote the following on 18/02/2007 20:36:
    Looks neat but to my way of thinking, you'd need to get your main PSU
    running even more fans to exhaust this one?

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 000716-3, 23/02/2007
    Tested on: 24/02/2007 11:22:58

    Ian O, Feb 24, 2007
  9. Custom Computers

    First of One Guest

    You worry too much.

    Heat generated by the PSU comes from AC/DC conversion losses. i.e. if the
    PSU is 76% efficient under typical load, the remaining 24% is lost as heat.

    According to XBitLabs' measurements, at max load an X1900XTX draws 72W from
    its 6-pin external connector.
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/power-noise_3.html If we
    conservatively assume the slower-running X1900CF draws the same amount, then
    the 5.25" PSU would need to supply 144W.

    If we conservatively assume the 5.25" PSU is 76% efficient (probably closer
    to 80%, due to uncomplicated design), then its heat output would be 144 x
    24/76 = 45W. 45W is not much of an increase when mixed with the relatively
    larger air volume inside the case.

    First of One, Feb 24, 2007