    GeForce 7800 GTX, Forceware 83.90 beta (but it happened with last
    official certified driver too!), Samsung 204TS 20" screen.

    thanks a lot in advance for any hints!

    Cole Turner, Mar 18, 2006

  2. Cole Turner

    johns Guest

    Most games can't autodetect the nVidia cards at all. It doesn't
    surprise me that the card can't reset the desktop. One lame
    guess ... there are lots of service programs... like powercfg
    used in hibernate ... that will not run unless there was enough
    free disk space to store a config file of the desktop when the
    game was started. Try doing a cleanup and defrag to get about
    10 gigs free space on the C-drive. Who knows ??

    johns

    johns, Mar 18, 2006

  3. Cole Turner

    Cole Turner Guest

    Johns,

    thanks a lot for the hint, but the machine has been defragged two days
    ago, is only one week old and has 400 GB (!!!) of disk space free :(

    cheers, Cole :)

    Cole Turner, Mar 18, 2006
  4. Cole Turner

    First of One Guest

    Ensure your 204TS is recognized as Monitor 1 in Windows, and ensure nothing
    is registering as Monitor 2. Also, install the monitor's INF file if you
    haven't done so already.

    First of One, Mar 18, 2006
  5. Cole Turner

    Cole Turner Guest

    thanks, but again no luck ...

    perhaps I should mention, that Far Cry never shows this behavior (so
    far) ... weird ...

    Cole Turner, Mar 18, 2006
  6. Cole Turner

    Robert Gault Guest

    It would help to post the OS and DirectX versions that are in use. Most
    problems of this type occur with mismatches between the video drivers, and
    DirectX and OS versions. You may need to back track to a video driver
    contemporary to the problem games.

    What happens when the games are run Full Screen but with a resolution other
    than the desktop? I don't care how they look, but can they shutdown correctly?

    Robert Gault, Mar 18, 2006
  7. Cole Turner

    Cole Turner Guest

    sure - Win XP SP2, all drivers + DirectX have the latest version

    backtracking drivers ... that's sort of a problem since for reasons
    beyond my comprehension, Corel Paint Shop Pro X works only with the
    very latest NVidia drivers on Dual Core cpus! :(
    haven't tried that yet since it's a TFT but I'll check it out!

    thanks

    Cole Turner, Mar 19, 2006
  8. Cole Turner

    McGrandpa Guest

    Haven't I seen you in the Corel PSP X newsgroup? ;)
    Drivers. Yes, they can have glitches that can cause this sort of thing,
    just as the 'enhanced dual core support' is out of kilter in the earlier 80
    series nVidia drivers and causes both PSP 9 and X to crash. I've found a
    beta 64 bit driver set that seems to have it all pretty much 'right'.
    83.91, so the WHQL84.20 set on nVidias site for 32 bit XP should be fine.
    You might give that set a shot. They are the current WHQL released set and
    are easy to find.
    HTH,
    McG.

    McGrandpa, Mar 19, 2006
  9. Cole Turner

    Cole Turner Guest

    woohhaaa those are brandnew, haven't been there a few hours ago ...
    thanks for the hint!

    84.21 !

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_84.21.html

    off to try 'em out!

    Cole Turner, Mar 19, 2006
  10. Cole Turner

    Cole Turner Guest

    no change though ... :/

    Cole Turner, Mar 19, 2006
  11. Cole Turner

    McGrandpa Guest

    Ok, then there's something else up. What's your desktop color depth set
    to, and what is it in the game that's doing this? Also, check refresh rates
    for both desktop and game. I've heard of a few LCD flat panels having
    problems like this and often it's small incompatibilities between the video
    card and monitor that causes it. Sometimes, just making things as exactly
    the same as possible between desktop and full screen app helps.
    I remember having problems even with a crt if I forgot to set desktop color
    depth to 16 bit before playing GlQuake. It's that sort of problem I'm
    thinking this may be.
    McG.

    McGrandpa, Mar 19, 2006
  12. Cole Turner

    pyra Guest

    did you try hitting the 'windows' key? (the one on the
    keyboard with the windows emblem)

    pyra, Mar 20, 2006
  13. Cole Turner

    Cole Turner Guest

    again, thanks all for replying!

    color depth is always 32 bit, in games and of course on desktop :)

    at the moment I have five 3d games installed and two have this issue,
    X3 and FS9.

    VSync is "application controlled" in the NVidia panel ... dunno if
    this does anything?

    Cole Turner, Mar 20, 2006
  14. Cole Turner

    Cole Turner Guest

    yep, doesn't help ... have hit everything, including my head ...
    ctrl+alt+del, alt+F4, windows key, monitor signal select key, ...

    Cole Turner, Mar 20, 2006