ScSi board on Ultra workstation

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by squeakymaus, Jul 20, 2006.

  1. squeakymaus

    squeakymaus Guest

    I appologize if this topic has been discussed ad-nausium. I have an
    Ultra-5 workstation, which I use as a test-bed before installing
    software onto the Netra-clones (Marathon cPCI chasses with CP1500
    boards and ZNYX quad network boards, LSI Ultra ScSi boards). I am
    trying to test out the Volume Manager in Solaris 10 on a small (2
    drive) chassis before committing to attatching the Netras to a bigger
    (8 drive) chassis. I did not have a standard PCI LSI board available
    (the Netra clones take 6U cPCI euroboards) and a cow-orker suggested
    that Adaptec AHA-2940UW was the same as the LSI board and could be used
    in the Sun workstation.

    When I try to probe-scsi-all from OBP, I do not get any response (but
    also no errors). I have verified that the ScSi board is good and that
    the drives and enclosure are good and that the enclosure assigns the
    correct (unused) drive ID numbers and is terminated on the far side,
    but I cannot get the board and drives to show up in OBP. I am not in
    the lab right now, so I cannot tell you what revision of OBP the
    machine uses.

    Is there a certain minimum revision level required to see drives
    hanging off of and Adaptec board? Was the coworker mistaken? If I have
    not provided enough information, please let me know what other
    information you need, and I will do my best to get that information
    when I get back to the lab late tonight. If this is explained in
    another article, a reference to that article would be helpful. I have
    tried googling for this and have gotten inconclusive and contradictory
    information.

    Thanks.

    squeakymaus, Jul 20, 2006

  2. I believe your co-worker is mistaken. Adaptec have their own chipset,
    which is not the same as LSI. At least some Sun boards use the LSI chip
    set, but I'm not aware of support for Adaptec cards in Solaris for SPARC.

    You can get real Sun SCSI boards on eBay for very little. I've got an
    IBM card working in one, but that has the LSI chip set - not an Adaptec
    chip set.
    --
    Dave K MCSE.

    It is always of the form: [email protected] Hitting reply will work

    http://witm.sourceforge.net/ (Web based Mathematica front end)

    Dave (from the UK), Jul 20, 2006

  3. * :
    Your coworker was telling BS (saying that Adaptec and LSI are the same
    is basically like saysing Windows and Solaris are the same). The Adaptec
    AHA-2940UW simply has no LSI chipset and thus doesn't work in an Ultra 5...

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Jul 20, 2006
  4. squeakymaus

    squeakymaus Guest

    Thanks for the explanation, guys. I will inform him of his mistake and
    will order an LSI-based ScSi board.

    squeakymaus, Jul 20, 2006
  5. Somewhere, maybe in one of the sun support manuals, I read that an
    AHA-2940UW was supported in
    and Ultra10. I could be mistaken though.
    Anyway LSI and Adaptec are certainly not the same, that is for sure.

    Gerry Sinkiewicz, Jul 20, 2006
  6. squeakymaus

    Rich Teer Guest

    I vaguely remember somehting about Adaptec controllers working at
    some time, but IIRC, they were 32-bit only. And probably not tested
    on more recent versions of Solaris.
    Agreed. For SCSI on Solaris, LSI-based HBAs are the way to go.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Teer, Jul 20, 2006
  7. Adaptec did once make an OpenFirmware version of their 2940 card, but
    it was very rare. And they did only do 32-bit drivers for
    Solaris 2.5.1 & Solaris 2.6.

    http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/speed/obsolete/unix/7800_fw_v200_sol_dd.htm

    But you can't use a stock AHA-2940UW to boot from, only the OF one.

    Doug McIntyre, Jul 20, 2006
  8. squeakymaus

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    Looking at the recently downloaded sources for Solaris-10, I
    find quite a few entries for Adaptec -- but only in the Intel branch of
    the source tree. Here is the list out of uts/intel/os/master:

    Adaptec SCSI Card 29320A(H1B)
    Adaptec SCSI Card 39320
    Adaptec SCSI Card 39320D
    Adaptec SCSI Card 29320
    Adaptec SCSI Card 29320LP
    Adaptec SCSI Card 39320(H2B)
    Adaptec SCSI Card 39320A
    Adaptec SCSI Card 29320ALP(H1B)
    Adaptec SCSI Card AIC-7902B
    Adaptec SCSI Card AIC-7901A
    Adaptec AIC-7902
    Adaptec AdvancedRAID Controller

    I've edited out all but the description string, so I don't give away
    actual code to people who have not registered to download it, but it is
    free to download if you go through the registration process.

    This suggests that it might be possible to move the code into
    the SPARC side and compile it in -- but I don't know what problems that
    might trigger. It would be convenient to have these cards work in any
    PCI slotted machine.

    Out of curiosity, -- Why is the original poster spelling "SCSI"
    as "ScSi" (as in the Subject: " header?

    All four letters should be upper-case, as it is an acronym,
    although it has been so long since anyone remembered anything but the
    acronym itself that other capitalization patterns have been creeping in.
    This one is unique, however. :)

    Enjoy,
    DoN.

    DoN. Nichols, Jul 20, 2006
  9. Although given the age of the cards and the costs of LSI ones on eBay
    etc, I'm not sure anyone would want to devote the time to it.

    Dave (from the UK), Jul 21, 2006