    slot, of course and I'd rather not get a new scanner, if possible.

    First hand experience would be greatly appreciated.

    Kal

    Kalman Rubinson, Sep 29, 2005

  2. Kalman Rubinson

    Ben Myers Guest

    Any Adaptec 2900-series SCSI PCI card with an external 50-pin miniSCSI or 25-pin
    SCSI connector will do. I recently set up an older Epson SCSI scanner in a Dell
    Precision 380 system, using an Adaptec 2906. Make sure that UMax has Windows XP
    drivers for the Vista S-12 before you buy the SCSI card... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 29, 2005

  3. Kalman Rubinson

    Tom Scales Guest

    Kal,

    Before you spend the money, price out a new scanner. They are dirt cheap
    and I can't imagine the investment in a SCSI card is worth the hassle.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Sep 29, 2005
  4. You may be right but that is a new investigation while the old
    scanner, which does transparencies up to 8.5x11, works fine.

    Kal

    Kalman Rubinson, Sep 29, 2005
  5. Thanks. I will take a look. There is no driver, per se, for
    NT/2000/XP but there is a program that will run it and I have
    confirmed that it works under 2000Pro.

    Kal

    Kalman Rubinson, Sep 29, 2005
  6. Kalman Rubinson

    Ben Myers Guest

    I forgot to mention that you may need another external SCSI cable, depending on
    which SCSI card you get. I would guess that the old ISA bus SCSI card you have
    there has a 25-pin external connector... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 30, 2005
  7. Kalman Rubinson

    Ben Myers Guest

    Let me say in defense of older SCSI scanners that SCSI cards and cables are also
    dirt cheap and if the SCSI scanner does the job, it is probably much more
    sturdily built than the newer scanners. Support and drivers for the Adaptec
    2900-series cards are built into XP and 2000... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 30, 2005
  8. Thanks. That's what I figured, too. I can get a reburbished Adaptec
    SCSI/PCI for under $30.

    Kal

    Kalman Rubinson, Sep 30, 2005
  9. Kalman Rubinson

    Tom Scales Guest

    You may already be speaking of it, but check out Vuescan. Amazing scanning
    software

    Tom Scales, Sep 30, 2005
  10. Nope but I will look into it. Thanks.

    Kal

    Kalman Rubinson, Sep 30, 2005