SCSI CDROM responding on all SCSI IDs

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Greg, Jul 4, 2004.

  1. Greg

    Greg Guest

    I have an E250 with a Toshiba XM6201 CDROM drive that appears to be
    responding on all SCSI IDs. probe-scsi gets me what looks like the first
    HDD followed by 15 CDROM drives. The remaining 4 physical hard disks
    (there are five in total) are not reported at all. Sometimes probe-scsi
    just hangs about about ID 9 or ID a, depending on what HDD is where in the
    box.

    The CD device reads CDs and the machine will boot off the CD but when
    accessing the HDDs I get lots of IO errors (SCSI bus resets and other
    errors, DMA weirdness). If I try to do a Solaris install, sometimes it
    finds a device to install to and sometimes it doesn't, followed by lots of
    IO errors.

    If I boot off the CD into single user mode, start format and do an identify
    (if it finds the device at all) sometimes it tells me that the first hard
    disk is the Toshiba CDROM drive rather than the device that is actually
    there.

    Does this look a problem with the drive or is it more likely to be something
    bad happening with the SCSI backplane/cable? Any suggestions?

    Greg, Jul 4, 2004

  2. Greg

    Lasse Jensen Guest

    I think it's something in the Toshiba firmware, i have the same problem
    with a Toshiba DVD-RAM drive when i try to use it with anything but a
    Adaptec AHA7850 controller (in a PC with Linux, that is, but it's the same
    problem in my SS20 with Solaris).

    Lasse Jensen, Jul 4, 2004

  3. Greg

    Claus Dragon Guest

    I had the same problem twice now when using external cd-roms with my
    SS20, the cd-rom showing up quite a few times on "probe-scsi-all".
    Turned out that I had simply forgotten to terminate the external pack.

    Claus Dragon, Jul 4, 2004
  4. Le Sun, 04 Jul 2004 03:21:16 +0000, Greg a écrit :
    This is typical of a drive using the SCSI ID 0. on any real system (Sun,
    SGIs and even Macs), the SCSI controller uses ID 0, so you can't use this
    ID for any other device.

    Emmanuel Florac, Jul 4, 2004
  5. Le Sun, 04 Jul 2004 17:53:32 +0200, Lasse Jensen a écrit :
    Nothing wrong with the firmware. You used SCSI ID 0 which collides with
    the controller SCSI ID. Adaptec cards use SCSI ID 7, so no collision.
    Change the jumpers settings on your drive and you'll have no problem.
    Most systems (except PC SCSI cards) use SCSI ID 0 for the controller,
    which makes much more sense than ID 7...

    Emmanuel Florac, Jul 4, 2004
  6. Greg

    Greg Guest

    Then I think the drive may have lost its mind. Its an internal drive thats
    jumpered to ID6. I noticed that in the probe-scsi output the only thing
    that doesn't get reported is ID6.

    Thanks for the reply.

    Greg, Jul 4, 2004
  7. Greg

    Greg Guest

    Claus,
    Do I need some kind of terminator on the external connector at the back if I
    have no external devices connected? This is an internal drive and the
    internal cable is terminated.

    Greg

    Greg, Jul 4, 2004
  8. Greg

    Claus Dragon Guest

    No you normally dont.

    My SS20 at least also works with two internal hard drives and an
    internal cd-rom and none of the three external buses being terminated.

    Which reminds me, are you sure that the internal cable is terminated
    properly?

    Claus Dragon, Jul 4, 2004
  9. Greg

    Greg Guest

    The internal terminator is firmly attached to the end of the cable, and if I
    take the CDROM off the cable the HDDs show up (and only once each). I think
    its an outbreak of madness in the CDROM drive. I will try to borrow one
    from somewhere, my other SCSI CD drive (also an XM6201) is deceased and you
    can't just walk into a shop and buy a new one (but the Sun list price in Oz
    for the replacement part is AUD666, which might be an omen).

    Greg

    Greg, Jul 4, 2004
  10. Greg

    Claus Dragon Guest

    Hm, does the cd-rom work properly if you use it without hard disks?
    Sure that is a lot of work, but perhaps it saves you buying a new
    cd-rom.
    If it works then, then this reeks of a problem with ID's, at least to
    me.

    Also, recheck the ID's for both all the hard disks and the cd-rom.
    Like, do the slots determine the ID like in an SS 20, or do you have
    to add jumpers to the hard disks? Check those as well.

    That is all I can say to that, unfortunately, with my limited
    knowledge.

    Claus Dragon, Jul 4, 2004
  11. Greg

    Greg Guest

    It sort of works. It reads ok, I can boot off the CD, but probe-scsi gets me
    15 CDROM devices which can't be right.

    The slots do determine the IDs in an E250. The E250 owners manual shows
    target 0 as the first disk target device, then 8 to 12 are the remaining
    disk devices, with the CD at 6 (but the CD has to be jumpered).

    The low numbered device (target 0 is the slot 0 device) is the one that gets
    reported by probe-scsi - the remaining HDD IDs, which start at 8 are higher
    than the CD ID (6). This is what I see with the CDROM in the chain, the
    drives after the first one are not shown (the probe often hangs or crashes
    if there are multiple HDDs in the box):

    {0} ok probe-scsi
    Primary UltraSCSI bus:
    Target 0
    Unit 0 Disk HP 4.26GB F 80-1201
    Target 1
    Unit 0 Removable Read Only device TOSHIBA XM6201TASUN32XCD1103
    Target 2
    Unit 0 Removable Read Only device TOSHIBA XM6201TASUN32XCD1103
    Target 3
    Unit 0 Removable Read Only device TOSHIBA XM6201TASUN32XCD1103
    Target 4
    Unit 0 Removable Read Only device TOSHIBA XM6201TASUN32XCD1103
    Target 5
    Unit 0 Removable Read Only device TOSHIBA XM6201TASUN32XCD1103
    Target 7
    Unit 0 Removable Read Only device TOSHIBA XM6201TASUN32XCD1103
    Target 8
    Unit 0 Removable Read Only device TOSHIBA XM6201TASUN32XCD1103
    Target 9
    Unit 0 Removable Read Only device TOSHIBA XM6201TASUN32XCD1103
    Target a
    Unit 0 Removable Read Only device TOSHIBA XM6201TASUN32XCD1103
    Target b
    Unit 0 Removable Read Only device TOSHIBA XM6201TASUN32XCD1103
    Target c
    Unit 0 Removable Read Only device TOSHIBA XM6201TASUN32XCD1103
    Target d
    Unit 0 Removable Read Only device TOSHIBA XM6201TASUN32XCD1103
    Target e
    Unit 0 Removable Read Only device TOSHIBA XM6201TASUN32XCD1103
    Target f
    Unit 0 Removable Read Only device TOSHIBA XM6201TASUN32XCD1103

    External SCSI bus:
    {0} ok
    {0} ok

    And this is what I see without the CDROM but with five drives in the box:

    probe-scsi
    Primary UltraSCSI bus:
    Target 0
    Unit 0 Disk HP 4.26GB F 80-1201
    Target 8
    Unit 0 Disk HP 4.26GB A 80-S94CS94C
    Target 9
    Unit 0 Disk FUJITSU MAB3045S SUN4.2G1806
    Target a
    Unit 0 Disk FUJITSU MAB3045S SUN4.2G1505
    Target b
    Unit 0 Disk HP 18.2GB A 80-SA40SA40

    External SCSI bus:

    Which looks much better than what I have been seeing.

    Greg

    Greg, Jul 4, 2004
  12. Greg

    Claus Dragon Guest

    Hoi Greg,

    sorry, I cannot help you further. Perhaps checking for an OBP update
    might be worth the effort.

    But if the machine boots properly off the cd-rom while it is messing
    up probe-scsi of the OBP, then this is clearly beyond my
    comprehension.

    Claus Dragon, Jul 4, 2004
  13. Le Sun, 04 Jul 2004 21:01:26 +0000, Greg a écrit :
    Weird. Is your cable properly terminated, or the terminator jumper set on
    the drive?

    Emmanuel Florac, Jul 4, 2004
  14. Greg

    Stefan Blom Guest

    Note that target 6 is missing in the list above.
    That means that both your controller and your CD are on target 6!

    Stefan.

    Stefan Blom, Jul 4, 2004
  16. Greg

    Claus Dragon Guest

    Hm, now either the owners manual is wrong or Greg read or wrote wong
    ;)

    According to Emmanuel Florac's post in the other branch of this
    thread, the controller is at ID=0.

    Claus Dragon, Jul 4, 2004
  17. Rubbish
    Sun controllers are on 7 for narrow SCSI and 15 for wide.
    The only exception is on clustered systems which have the SCSI cable
    connected to 2 machines. In this case the controller on one machine is
    moved to 14.

    Chris Newport, Jul 4, 2004
  18. I have seen this problem several times, it is cause either by a faulty CDRON
    drive or by faulty wiring.

    Remove the drive from the machine and mount it in an exterenal enclosure.
    Connect the external enclosure to a different controller, if the problem
    moves to the new location the drive is faulty.

    My score so far:
    3 bad CDROM drives, all of this type.
    1 bad ribbon cable. (actually the scsi - floppy adaptor mounted in the
    ribbon cable on an E150).

    Chris Newport, Jul 5, 2004
  19. Greg

    Lasse Jensen Guest

    Nope, i tried several ID's with the same results. The problem also exits
    with other PC SCSI controllers, regardless of what ID i choose. Also, my
    Panasonic DVD-RAM drive works fine in the same configuration.

    Lasse Jensen, Jul 5, 2004
  20. Greg

    Juhan Leemet Guest

    None of the Sun machines that I've seen (over 20 years). Another post here
    corrects this: controllers are usually on 7 or 15 (for wide).

    My Ultra2s have their system boot disk at SCSI ID 0.

    Juhan Leemet, Jul 5, 2004