    I have this SCSI-2 controller with a Seagate Barracuda Hard drive.
    I want to add more drives, but because SCSI has evolved so much I don't know
    what drives will NOT be compatible with SCSI-2.

    PedroX, Jul 8, 2005

  2. PedroX

    SteveH Guest

    Ain't Barracudas IDE drives?

    SteveH

    SteveH, Jul 8, 2005

  3. PedroX

    PedroX Guest

    Ain't Barracudas IDE drives?

    I only know the SCSI ones.

    PedroX, Jul 8, 2005
  4. PedroX

    Pelysma Guest

    Not necessarily. I actually think the IDE ones are the exception.

    For context here, I've spent most Saturdays recently tearing down old
    computers for recycling. We've dismantled several 1997-99 era servers in
    the last couple of weeks and are salvaging some of the drives for shop use.
    I came into this knowing very little about SCSI and the equipment has been
    teaching me a thing or two.

    I've seen fat bulky drives and slim pretty ones all labeled "Barracuda," so
    it's not so much a specific model as a name for their higher-quality line of
    drives.

    I've been seeing three kinds of SCSI connectors (and I've seen Seagate
    Barracudas in all three types).

    There's a fifty-pin connector that looks like an IDE connector but wider,
    and occasionally a fifty-pin micro connector, with a molex for power like
    IDE drives also. These are labeled N for Narrow (i.e. model number
    ST15150N) and I think that corresponds to SCSI-1. They have an 8-bit data
    bus.

    There's a 64-pin micro connector that also has a molex plug for power.
    These are labeled U, W, or UW for Ultra, Wide, and Wide Ultra. Ultra refers
    to transfer speed while Wide refers to a 16-bit data bus, and the drives can
    be either or both.

    The third kind I've seen has an enclosed card-edge connector that
    facilitates hot-swapping and incorporates the power wires with the data
    plug. They are labeled "Ultra 3."

    It's my understanding that SCSI drives are all compatible if you have the
    appropriate adapter, but adapters might be hard to come by and will give you
    the performance of the device on the slower side of the adapter. You want
    to locate drives that have the same connector type as the drive you're using
    now, probably the 64-pin ribbon type. But you can't go by brand name
    alone, and model numbers can be identical except for the suffix N, W, UW, or
    U3 (and there might be others I haven't seen). I think you would have
    difficulty using the U3 type, but in general if it fits your ribbon it will
    run on your adapter.

    I use an Adaptec 2940UW PCI adapter, which has connectors for the big 50-pin
    cable and the slimmer 64-pin cable. At one point I had two 8-GB drives on
    the UW cable and a 4 GB hard drive and CD-ROM on the Narrow cable all at
    once, and they all worked.

    Last Saturday I connected an 18.2GB UW drive to a U3 shuttle by means of two
    adapters, with the 50-pin connection in the middle; but watch this space,
    because I don't know yet whether or how well that works.

    Pelysma, Jul 8, 2005
  5. PedroX

    pete Guest

    My Barracuda drive is a Sata

    pete, Jul 8, 2005
  6. PedroX

    JANA Guest

    The easiest solution is Norton Ghost, or the equivalent.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Jul 8, 2005
  7. PedroX

    Pelysma Guest

    Today I picked up a drive from the pile and it had a similar 80-pin
    connector. I knew they existed but hadn't seen one, presumably because
    people aren't retiring and recycling them yet.
    For what it's worth, this didn't work. The adapter reported no drive
    connected. Fifty-pin narrow drives with a single adapter to the U3
    connector did run, however.

    Pelysma, Jul 10, 2005
  8. PedroX

    Bob Guest

    SCSI is flexable. If you buy any SCSI drive not a SAS drive you should be
    good to go so long as you understand termination and adaptors. Try
    http://www.granitedigital.com/ they shoud be able to get you a drive and the
    right stuff to go with it.

    Bob

    Bob, Jul 14, 2005