    and we decided to get it a try. Same symptoms however! What am I missing
    here?

    Thank you for any inputs.

    Emeric Maschino, Oct 9, 2004

  2. Emeric Maschino

    MyndPhlyp Guest

    With the CPU fan not firing up, it sounds like the board isn't starting; a
    symptom of "no processor detected" among other things. The tech spec update
    for the SE440BX-2 does indicate PIII 800MHz at the top end processor
    provided the board matches the AA Rev, PBA Rev (719947-204) and BIOS Rev
    (4S4EB2X0.86A.0024.P17). The PBA Rev is supposed to be located on a small
    label attached to the component side of the board, but I looked at an old
    SE440BX-2 in my "spares" pile and didn't see one.

    ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/se440bx2/72585615.pdf

    (the original tech spec below if you're interested)

    ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/se440bx2/72585615.pdf

    Some old school troubleshooting:

    With the PII installed, double-check the BIOS version. Hunt around for the
    PBA Rev and check that with the first URL above.

    If it looks like you have the right hardware and BIOS, try yanking out the
    battery for 15 seconds or so to force the BIOS back to defaults.
    Double-check that the processor board is fully seated in the motherboard
    slot. Put the jumper back in its normal position and power up again.

    MyndPhlyp, Oct 9, 2004

  3. The tech spec update
    As stated in my original post, my motherboard is PBA 720932-204 that
    can't support Coppermine processors. Hence, the fastest supported
    processor it can accept is a 600MHz Pentium III Katmai processor.
    The BIOS version is the latest one and match the string you gave.
    Already done that. No luck.

    Now, the solution. I removed every components from the motherboard
    except for the Pentium III processor. When I start up the computer, this
    time the CPU fan was working! After swapping every parts, I finally
    discover that, when an AGP graphics card was plugged, I get the problems
    described in my original post. With a PCI graphics adapter, I can
    successfully enter the Configuration menu. I then switch back to my AGP
    card, and now, everything is working like a charm!

    Quite suprising, isn't it?

    Thank you for your suggestions.

    Emeric Maschino, Oct 9, 2004
  4. Emeric Maschino

    MyndPhlyp Guest

    My apologies. You didn't state whether it was the AA Rev or the PBA Rev. I
    assumed it was the former.

    Very surprising indeed that the BIOS would default to PCI graphics. The
    normal default setting I have seen is AGP and, under that setting, if an AGP
    card is not present it will look for a PCI graphics.

    Glad to hear you figured it out.

    MyndPhlyp, Oct 9, 2004