    the ST1000DM003.They had no suggestion as to how this could be, but assured me
    the replacement met the same specs as my origional.

    Has anyone else out there run into this situation?

    Bob F, Sep 6, 2013

  2. Bob F

    Paul Guest

    I don't really think it matters what happened to anyone else.

    You sent in a ST1000DM003, the drive is not that old, and
    you should be getting one back. Not a drive which is two
    generations older.

    In some scenarios, the old drive might actually be better
    (small file transfers). But again, that's not the point.
    The point is, it's a warranty claim, not a used car lot.

    http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/disc/manuals/desktop/Barracuda 7200.12/100529369b.pdf
    http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/docs/manual/desktop/Barracuda 7200.14/100686584d.pdf

    ST31000528AS ST1000DM003
    7200.12 series 7200.14 (using web URL)

    1000GB 1000GB
    Heads 4 Heads 2
    Discs 2 Discs 1
    Bytes per sector 512 BPS 4096 with 512e emulation
    Speed 7200 RPM 7200 RPM
    Sustained data transfer (outside) 125MB/sec 156MB/sec
    Cache 32MB Cache 64MB
    Height 26.1mm (1.028 inch) Height 20.2mm (0.78 inch)
    Average seek read 8.5ms Average seek read 8.5ms
    Average seek write 9.5ms Average seek write 9.5ms
    (Cable rate SATA II) (Cable rate SATA III)

    Spec-wise, they're not even close to being the same. And I'm
    not referring to the SATA II versus SATA III thing either.
    That part is irrelevant. The 156MB/sec versus 125MB/sec
    and being two generations apart, says they're not the same.

    Only the capacity is the same.

    In my experience here, with 512e drives, I find them less predictable
    on how they'll work in real transfer scenarios. Sometimes, a 512
    drive will beat them. A 512 drive doesn't do emulation, so no
    read-modify-write shenanigans using the cache. This is important
    for a WinXP user, less so for a Windows 8 user.

    On large sequential transfers, the newer drive might complete
    those in less time. But ever since 512e has come out, I've had
    multiple drives that behaved "strange". And didn't work right.
    So from that perspective, the 528AS might even be a win.

    But this is a simple warranty issue, not a used car lot.

    If they don't have a ST1000DM003 to ship, they
    can ship a ST1500DM003 or a ST2000DM003 :) Tell them
    "they have the same specs, and are the same generation of drive" :)
    Thrown their notion of "the same", back in their face. Send
    in a 156MB/sec drive, get a 156MB/sec drive back as a replacement.

    Maybe you could try small claims court. Or something similar.

    *******

    There is supposed to be a web page, for doing warranty serial
    number checks on drives. If you can find that, enter the serial number
    and see if other details populate with ST1000DM003 or not.
    If so, tell them to "try again, dummies". And insist on
    a 156MB/sec (i.e. same generation) of drive. I'm sure
    they have refurb ST1000DM003 sitting there. They should
    have a *huge* bone pile to choose from. They're Seagate.

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 6, 2013

  3. I would put a complaint, in writing, to SeaGate. Fully document the
    differences and why you have the SATA III drive in the first place. While
    they have the right to give you a refurbished drive as a replacement, it
    does not conform to to their warranty stating "functionally equivalent
    replacement product".

    "If Seagate authorizes you to return your product to Seagate or an
    authorized service provider, Seagate will replace your product without
    charge with a functionally equivalent replacement product. Seagate may
    replace your product with a product that was previously used, repaired and
    tested to meet Seagate specifications. Seagate will pay to ship the
    replacement product to you. By sending product for replacement, you agree to
    transfer ownership of the original product to Seagate. Seagate will not
    return your original product to you. Data recovery is not covered under this
    limited warranty and is not part of the repair or exchange process. If you
    would like data recovery performed on your drive, it is available from
    Seagate as a separate service for an additional charge. Seagate warrants
    that repaired or replaced products are covered for the greater of either the
    remainder of the original product warranty or 90 days."

    http://www.seagate.com/support/warranty-and-replacements/limited-consumer-warranty/

    Seagate Technology LLC
    10200 S. De Anza Blvd
    Cupertino, CA, 95014

    David H. Lipman, Sep 6, 2013
  4. Bob F

    Bob F Guest

    Seagate tells me the serial# I sent them shows the specs for the drive they sent
    me. They seemed to have no comments to my statement that the drive I have says
    on the label "ST1000DM003", and that their own web site says that drive is
    SATA3, 64MB cache, which the one they sent me is not. I talked to 2 people there
    and got basically the same story. It is as if they shipped ST1000DM003 drives
    that were not up to the currently advertised specs although they wouldn't
    actually say that. So should I call again and escalate to a higher level?

    Bob F, Sep 6, 2013
  5. No. Put it in writing !

    David H. Lipman, Sep 6, 2013
  6. Bob F

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bob F wrote:
    [snip]
    Interestingly when I got my ST1000DM003 from Amazon I read the customer
    reviews and it seems that Seagate *are* (or were) re-labeling their older
    drives and selling them as new generation.

    This page / review is mostly about the 2TB version but does cover the others
    in the Seagate '1TB / platter' range:

    http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barra...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

    So you see it's entirely possible that you in fact *did* have an older gen
    drive to start with! :-(

    That's one of the reasons I went for the 1TB drive - it's much thinner so
    there's no way they can give you a two-platter drive in it's stead. Was your
    drive thin? They if it were could however still give you a drive with
    different cache etc. than you thought you were paying for. I am a Seagate
    man, have been ever since I got burned with the WD 'Green' drives (and since
    with USB external drives that can't even saturate a USB 2 bus, yet alone USB
    3) - However this sort of thing worries me.....

    (I seriously dislike crossposting and usually remove it. This one time I'll
    let it stand as I'm reading from overclocking.)
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]

    ~misfit~, Sep 19, 2013