    Is there a way to disable the first hard drive in the BIOS? Want to keep
    whats on the first (business) and second (personal) drives completely
    seperate.

    Linden, May 30, 2005

  2. Linden

    John Doue Guest

    You cannot disable the second drive in Bios, you can only define which
    one is the one which boots. Once you have done that, if you want to
    avoid any undesired access to the drive which is not the one which
    boots, go to Computer Management, Disk Management and on this drive, for
    each partition that will show a drive letter, right-click, select Change
    Drive letters, remove. This will in no way affect the data on it, it
    will just hide the partition. If you check on My computer, no undesired
    partition will show up.

    If in Bios, you go back to booting again from this drive, it will work
    as usual. Of course, this procedure just avoids mistakes, it is in no
    way a security device. If this is was you want, you will have to
    consider setting passwords for the drives, but remember the risks
    involved should you forget these passwords ...

    John Doue, May 30, 2005

  3. Linden

    DeeBat Guest

    All you need is a boot manager such as 'System Commander'. You load
    this on the primary hard drive, then you can install XP on the second
    hard drive. 'System Commander' will give you the choice of which
    operating system to boot. You can also do the Windows dual boot route,
    but this isn't as elegant. Instructions for this is available in
    Windows Help (from the Start menu).

    One caveat: I had a dual boot system with Windows 98 SE, and MS-DOS,
    and I didn't like that Windows 98 SE could see the MS-DOS partition.
    MS-DOS on the other hand couldn't see the Windows SE partition. Your
    BIOS solution would alleviate this problem (if it's a problem for you),
    and I did try to do this on the dual boot machine I had above, but was
    unsuccessful. This was several year ago however, and BIOS's and
    computers have advanced somewhat, so maybe it's possible now.

    DeeBat, May 30, 2005
  4. Linden

    DeeBat Guest

    Great tip! I have to remember that one.

    DeeBat, May 30, 2005
  5. Linden

    John Doue Guest

    I also use System Commander but I am not sure this is what Linden wants
    to do. I would certainly recommend its use if this solves his problem.

    John Doue

    John Doue, May 30, 2005
  6. I'm not sure if you can completely disable it, but you can at least
    tell XP to boot from the secondary disk, and in that XP installation,
    you should be able to "unasign" the drive letter making the drive
    inaccessible to you when running that XP installation.

    Jerry Bloomfield, May 30, 2005
  7. Linden

    John Doue Guest

    I just tried using System Commander with the second hard drive
    installed. If this second drive is set as second bootable HD in Bios,
    System Commander does see it BUT there must be a conflict and trying to
    boot using SC to chose a partition from that second drive crashes the
    machine (even after hiding all other bootable partitions).

    This might be caused by the fact that on the drive I tested, SC is also
    installed and that might have created the conflict. Verifying this
    hypothesis being too time consuming and having little interest for me, I
    won't go further but in case of a permanent setup, it might be worth
    investigating.

    John Doue, May 30, 2005