    - flashed bios, reinstalled and updated XP SP1, updated Chipset
    drivers
    - reinstalled geforce drivers (67.11)

    Richard Dvo??k, Aug 5, 2004

  2. Richard Dvo??k

    Adam Nielsen Guest

    So far I have tried the following:
    Did you remember to enable TwinView? Both monitors display the same
    picture until TwinView is activated. I believe you do this through the
    advanced button in the display settings, but it's been ages since I've
    tried it under Windows (my FX5200LP is running fine with two CRTs under
    Linux - they both display the same picture until I load X-Windows, when
    they're configured to come up as two independent desktops.)

    Cheers,
    Adam.

    Adam Nielsen, Aug 5, 2004

  3. Did you remember to enable TwinView?

    Yes, it is called nview and it is activated.
    Though, what`s most irritating: only one monitor shows up...

    Richard Dvo??k, Aug 5, 2004
  4. Richard Dvo??k

    biscaynesix Guest

    A video card with 2 different monitor outputs does not necessarily
    work as dual head. If not, both monitors should display the same
    picture. Only a card with a Dual Head feature should be able to span
    the desktop accross both screens.

    If your video card does not have a dual head feature, the easiest way
    to make this work is to buy an inexpensive PCI video card, and use it
    for the secondary monitor. (I have a TNT2 for my second monitor, and
    its plenty good enough for displaying the other half of my desktop..
    Games still run smoothly on my primary monitor with the Radeon 9800.)

    biscaynesix, Aug 6, 2004
  7. A video card with 2 different monitor outputs does not necessarily
    That might just be the case here - the second monitor on DVI just does
    not show up in any of the config panels, even on powerstrip.
    It will show the same desktop though...
    I think I still have a pci card somewhere :)
    Tanks, I'll give it a try...

    Richard Dvo??k, Aug 6, 2004
  8. Richard Dvo??k

    Adam Nielsen Guest

    That might just be the case here - the second monitor on DVI just does
    Have you tried enabling "force detection of a monitor on the secondary
    port" or whatever it's called? Also, the monitor won't show up if nView
    is disabled (I think until nView is enabled you've only got one monitor
    connected - after it's enabled you should be able to auto-detect the
    presence of a second monitor.)
    As far as I'm aware, all nVidia cards with two monitor outputs have dual
    heads (otherwise there'd be no point putting the extra DVI/DB15 plug on
    there - they could put a single DVI plug and give you a DVI -> DB15
    converter.)

    I could understand you having problems detecting a CRT monitor on the
    DVI plug (as then no 'control' signals are passed back from the CRT to
    the video card) however this should work well with a DVI connection to a
    DVI monitor.

    So when you've enabled TwinView and the DVI monitor goes black, have you
    tried restarting Windows (and the second monitor should remain black
    when Windows loads again) then going back into the display properties?
    Perhaps it just needs a nudge to detect the second monitor?

    Cheers,
    Adam.

    Adam Nielsen, Aug 7, 2004
  9. Hi Adam,
    thanks for taking the time...

    Did all of that - nView is enabled, after doing force detection (and
    rebooting), I DO get a second monitor setup option - BUT - I can only
    select a "tv + analog" in twinview. When doing so, and expanding the
    desktop to that second monitor, I still see the same desktop on both
    monitors. Except only half of it! That realy sucks, since most popup
    screens now come up on the invisible half - especially the desktop
    settings dialogue ;-)

    Maybe I have to use one analog and one digital monitor? Two analog
    monitors (one of them hooked up to DVI by converter) just don't do
    it...
    I even hooked up two CRT's - exactly the same thing. Both monitors
    show the same desktop. Cloned, two mice etc...

    When enabling Twinview, the DVI monitor never does go black - it keeps
    cloning the desktop.
    When rebooting, both monitors go through the same screens. D-Sub
    starts a bit earlier.

    I am having a hard time getting a decent PCI card - but I will repost
    with results...

    Richard Dvo??k, Aug 10, 2004
  10. Richard Dvo??k

    James Guest

    It sounds like the nView is working ok, as the default is "clone"...
    I don't think you have mentioned what screen setting you have set
    nView to, but within the nvidia settings tab of advanced screen
    properties, there should be a drop down box to say if you want to
    clone, split horiz, split vert, have 2 screens, or whatever. Have you
    tried these?

    James, Aug 10, 2004
  11. It sounds like the nView is working ok, as the default is "clone"...
    Yes - in the nview menu all these otions show up - except that I can
    only choose from "TV + Analog Monitor"
    A "Digital" does not show up...

    It does not seem to matter, what resolution I use...

    Richard Dvo??k, Aug 10, 2004
  12. as i mentioned before - I did do several clean uninstalls - except
    when I first exchanged cards:
    My asus p4p800 was exchanged on warranty to p4p800SE - which does NOT
    allow for "old" 4xAGP.
    After changing the board, I did try to boot once with my old G450
    Matrox Dualhead - no luck there, of course. After finding out about
    the SE restrictions, I bought the Geforce card.

    Both monitors lit up right away - installed the new drivers -
    everything seemed perfect - except for that second monitor on DVI - it
    just will not show in any of the config menus.

    I would hate to have to do a clean XP install.

    Richard Dvo??k, Aug 10, 2004