second try, IBM A21 and Compaq Presario 1800T

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by eduard_mandro, Jun 22, 2004.

  1. Dear friends, could you possibly help me to solve the two problems I
    have with my Thinkpad A21m:

    1. I've installed Windows XP on this machine and it's become really
    slow, so I decided to buy an extra 128 MB SDRAM SODIMM. There is one
    64 MB SODIMM currently installed in slot 1, another slot is empty.
    Can I expand the memory up to 192 MB, i.e. having 64 in slot 1+128 in
    slot 2, or it always has to be the equal amount in each slot (like
    64+64, 128+128, etc.)?

    2. The computer became suspiciously quiet in last couple of days. It
    seems like the fan is not working. Is there any way of fixing it or
    getting a new one and replacing it on this particular model without
    sending it to the repair centre?

    I have anoter problem with my Compaq Presario 1800T, I have also
    installed Windows XP on this machine, and now I can not watch DVD
    properly, as it crashes every 15 minutes. Does anybody have similar
    problems?

    Many thanks for your suggestions,

    ==============

    eduard_mandro, Jun 22, 2004

  2. eduard_mandro

    G Tom Guest

    Hi,

    1. Yes, you can have just baout any combo of RAM in there. I currently
    have 256 + 64 in my a20m, so I can't imagine your situation wouldn't
    work.

    2. If you're sure the fan has died, you can replace it yourself.
    However, it will require that you open it up pretty far. IBM is really
    good about instructions on the web. Try searching for "FRU guide" or
    "FRU list" or "field service manual" or something along those line
    plus your model of thinkpad. Keep looking around for a PDF document.
    I've used the one for a20m (which should be pretty similar to the
    a21m) to replace the LCD screen and CPU. I was a little nervous, but
    it went swimmingly.

    I have no idea why your HP doesn't play DVDs. It sounds like some kind
    of driver problem, I guess. Sorry!

    -G

    G Tom, Jun 22, 2004
  4. eduard_mandro

    JD Guest

    The Compaq sounds like it is overheating. A seemingly common problem with
    some models of Compaqs. Before you ask, Compaq themselves will not be too
    helpful in resolving problems with their laptops that overheat. There
    attitude with me was. Tough S*!t

    With them being ever so helpful, I now use a different brand of laptop.

    JD
    troubleshooting newsgroups.

    JD, Jun 23, 2004
  5. Thank you so much. IBM FRU manual is really helpful.

    ==============

    eduard_mandro, Jun 24, 2004
  6. eduard_mandro

    Kimmy Tran Guest

    I have had an overheating problem with my compaq presario 1800T.
    Fortunately there's this one company that happens to sell the notebook
    cooler and I was able to solve my overheating problem. I hear that
    the compaq are very nictorious for overheating.

    Here is the link to HardwareCooling's line of notebook coolers
    http://www.hardwarecooling.com/default.php/cPath/33

    Have a great 4th of July weekend.

    Kimmy

    Kimmy Tran, Jul 4, 2004
  7. eduard_mandro

    Box134 Guest

    I don't know, I think the nictorious cooling problems of the 1800T are
    highly exagerbated. I own one and it's not happened to me.

    Box134, Jul 9, 2004