    attempt at adding the second drive. I don't want it as any kind of
    raid or mirroring sys I want the entire drive as storage. The drive is
    configured as cable select. Can any one give me any directions.

    Howard Huntley, Sep 10, 2008

  2. Have you 'devfsadm' or done a reconfigure boot yet?

    Doug McIntyre, Sep 10, 2008

  3. Howard Huntley

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    Did you try "probe-scsi-all" from the OBP (boot ROM) command
    level at the "ok" prompt? This can tell you whether the computer can
    even *see* the drive.

    Or maybe it will need to be "probe-ide-all" -- I don't have one
    up at present to check which works there.

    And what OS are you running? If Solaris 10, try this from the
    root prompt:

    devfsadm

    which should create the /dev/disk and /dev/rdsk entries. It will take a
    while (not sure how long with only two disks and a slow system like
    that). It should not take more than a couple of minutes I think.

    Or -- as alternatives, you can either issue the command

    touch reconfigure

    and then reboot. Or back down to the OBP (boot rom level) and type

    boot -r

    which does the same thing.

    If you had had the other disk in the computer when you installed
    Solaris, it would have offered to let you add that to the system at that
    time.

    Anyway *then* try "format" for partitioning it and then newfs
    for creating filesystems on the partitions which you have created. You
    may need to actually run the full format from within the format menu
    before you can partition it.

    Then you will need to create mount points (with mkdir) add them
    to /etc/vfstab so they will be mounted automatically.

    You have my suggestions above -- what I would try with Solaris
    10 on a Sun Blade 100. If the OS is something else -- the game will
    change totally.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    DoN. Nichols, Sep 10, 2008