Secondary Hard Disk Drive Not Found

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Boris, Nov 24, 2008.

  1. Boris

    Boris Guest

    The patient is a Dimension 4550, XPHome, SP3, BIOS A08. Everything's
    been fine, until...

    I opened the box to remove one of two optical drives. I had to remoed
    both power and data cables to both the optical drives to gain access to
    the one I wanted to remove. I did that just fine, and cabled back up the
    optical drive that was staying installed. I did not install another
    optical drive.

    Now, upon Restart or Turn Off/Start, POST gives Secondary Hard Disk Drive
    1 Not Found, Hit F1 to continue, F2 to enter Setup Utility. Hmmm... I
    hit F1.

    File Explorer shows both primary and secondary drives, and I can navigate
    to and open files on the secondary drive. There is nothing to indicate
    there is any trouble with the secondary drive.

    It works perfectly.
    It appears in Device Manager as on the primary IDE channel, as device 1,
    in UDMA5 mode.
    Disk Management shows it as 'healthy'.
    Belarc Advisor shows it as 'SMART' healthy.

    So, I disabled it in Device Manager, hopping to 'jiggle' it into action,
    rebooted, and still got the same error message. I went into Device
    Manager and re-enabled it, rebooted, but still the same error message.

    I checked the BIOS settings, and it is set as my secondary drive, in Auto
    configuration.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    Boris, Nov 24, 2008

  2. Boris

    K2NNJ Guest

    Differential Diagnosis?

    K2NNJ, Nov 24, 2008

  3. Boris

    JayB Guest

    it's complaining about the 2nd optical drive you took out.
    go into the cmos setup and disable it.

    JayB, Nov 24, 2008
  4. Hi!
    That's a misconfiguration in the setup program, caused by the removal of the
    optical drive. The setup program has no way (actually it hasn't remembered
    what "was there") to know what was installed at that position, so it simply
    says "hard drive" because it is set to believe that something is installed
    there.

    Your two hard drives are actually known as the "primary" drives.

    Go into setup and turn off the secondary slave device.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Nov 24, 2008
  5. Boris

    Boris Guest

    William, JayB, I feel so stupid. I think I'm going to have to change my
    screen name. :)0)

    It turns out that:

    1 0 was set to hard drive
    1 1 was set to hard drive