    line of defense against this. For unknown reasons, MSI has decided to
    remove the user password feature.

    Joe Hesse

    Joe Hesse, Oct 31, 2007

  2. Joe Hesse

    Bill Guest

    Your user password lasts about as long as it takes somebody to open
    the cover and reset your cmos. If you're worried about somebody
    accessing your hard drive; encrypt it.

    Bill

    Bill, Oct 31, 2007

  3. Joe Hesse

    Strobe Guest

    That's not a problem.
    Use the password-protected set-up to allow booting ONLY from your HDD.

    Strobe, Nov 1, 2007
  4. Joe Hesse

    Joe Hesse Guest

    Bill,

    Thank you for the reply.

    I know you can open the cover and reset the cmos. However, if you secure
    the cover with a lock you can tell that it has been broken into.
    I only want the level of protection that prevents some curious person
    putting a bootable CD or USB stick and mucking around with my computer.

    I think that MSI made a bad decision by removing user passwords; after all,
    you don't have to use it if it doesn't fit your need.

    Regards,
    Joe

    Joe Hesse, Nov 1, 2007
  5. Joe Hesse

    Joe Hesse Guest

    Thank you for the reply.

    If I password the BIOS setup and allow booting only from the HDD, then I
    have to alter the boot options whenever I want to boot from a CD. If I
    forget to change it back my computer is vulnerable to casual users. With a
    user password permanently set, its a no brainer for me. I always have to
    enter the short password to start my computer and, its my personal choice to
    be able to boot from a CD, especially since I try different Linux
    distributions.

    I think MSI made a mistake by removing this feature. After all, you don't
    have to use it if it doesn't meet your computing needs.

    I'm also aware of the fact that you can open the case and reset the CMOS.
    If your case has a lock on it you can easily see if your case has been
    opened without your permission.

    Regards,
    Joe

    Joe Hesse, Nov 1, 2007
  6. Joe Hesse

    El Kapitano Guest

    Yeah I heard your gripe the first time you posted it....

    Paranoia or OCD?

    Simple way is not to upgrade to the new bios unless you absolutely need some
    new fix or feature.

    :O)

    El Kapitano, Nov 4, 2007
  7. Joe Hesse

    Joe Hesse Guest

    Hi,

    Thank you for your honest reply. I always worry about being paranoid and/or
    having OCD. That is the reason I posted my comment; I wanted some feedback.

    The bios that came with my motherboard did not have the ability to set user
    passwords. I am hoping that MSI will "see the light" and fix it in future
    bios releases.

    So far you are the only one who seems to feel that this is not an issue. I
    am hoping some others will reply saying I am crazy or they agree with me.

    Thanks,
    Joe

    P.S.
    I top posted since this is how you replied.

    I have not received

    Joe Hesse, Nov 5, 2007
  8. Joe Hesse

    Harry Syme Guest

    You are crazy!

    I agree with you!

    Harry Syme, Nov 10, 2007
  9. Joe Hesse

    El Kapitano Guest

    To worry about having OCD or being paranoid must surely be a sign of ones
    awareness of ones tendencies toward such?

    You're cuckoo mate. :O)

    Regards,

    Andy H

    El Kapitano, Nov 11, 2007