    rebooted I got a scare, as almost all applications crashed on startup:
    Mail, Console, NetNewsWire, Safari.

    I rebooted again and the problem went away. Whew!

    Barry Margolin, Oct 10, 2008

  2. Barry Margolin

    PawStephan Guest

    Same here, but just Safari.

    PawStephan, Oct 10, 2008

  3. Barry Margolin

    billy Guest

    Oddly enough, this is one of a few that went ok for me.
    But, I did wait until today, because it takes about an
    hour to restore the backup if it didn't.

    Billy Y..

    billy, Oct 12, 2008
  4. Barry Margolin

    Ron Guest

    For me (on 10.4.11), mail.app exits on trying to read some messages.
    Safari exits on just about any operation; can't even view my bookmarks.
    Tried combo updater (had to get it with Explorer); installer exits on
    the first "Continue" click. I'm up the crick. My AppleCare expired in
    July. Any ideas? G5 1.6 single.

    Ron, Oct 14, 2008
  5. Barry Margolin

    Gerry Guest

    Launch Font Book and have it check for corrupted fonts. Corrupted fonts
    have been known to cause applications to crash, or not even launch.

    Gerry, Oct 14, 2008
  6. Barry Margolin

    Gerry Guest

    Have you repaired your permissions?

    Gerry, Oct 14, 2008
  7. Barry Margolin

    RonTheGuy Guest

    Thanks, Gerry. Found some corrupted fonts and removed them, rebooted,
    tried mail and Safari; no improvement. Any other ideas?

    RonTheGuy, Oct 14, 2008
  8. Barry Margolin

    Ron Guest

    Verified permissions, verified disk, emptied caches. Tried a different
    account. Booted with shift key down. Always same result. Even the Help
    Viewer exits on any attempt to actually use it. Opera works. IE 5 works.
    MacSoup works. Widgets that use internet access work. But sometimes when
    I quit an app, I get a message that the app unexpectedly quit. That had
    been happening occasionally even before I downloaded the Security Update
    and Java for Mac OS 10.4 Rel. 7 1.0.

    Ron, Oct 14, 2008
  9. Barry Margolin

    Warren Oates Guest

    We can walk you through that (if you have an alternate way of getting
    online). The Mac is probably the easiest machine around to set up for
    networking. My sister-in-law can get online with it ... and she has
    trouble with her shoelaces.

    Warren Oates, Oct 14, 2008