Seeking processor/laptop recommendations

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by A Nonymous, Dec 29, 2003.

  1. A Nonymous

    A Nonymous Guest

    OK, it's nearly a new year (and my birthday!) and I'm thinking of
    treating myself to a laptop. However, I've been reading in this group
    and on the web that laptops are notorious for overheating.

    I don't want to get one that's going to fry after only being on for a
    few minutes/hours so I'd be grateful for some advice.

    I don't want to spend more than 800 GBP and am looking for processor
    speeds around the 2.2-2.6 GHz mark. It'll be used for all sorts of
    apps but one of the main uses I'll be wanting to put it to is MP3
    DJing (with an external sound card).

    The options for processors seem to be:

    Intel Celeron
    Intel P4-M
    AMD Athlon XP-M

    The laptops I'm looking at at the moment are:

    Colossus XP2200 (2.2 GHz AMD XP-M) from The Computer Shop at 600 GBP
    Acer Aspire 1352XC (2.2 GHz AMD XP-M) from Insight at 690 GBP
    Compaq Presario 2504 (2.6 GHz Intel Celeron) from PC World at 800 GBP

    Any comments, suggestions or other recommendations would be most
    appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Robbie

    A Nonymous, Dec 29, 2003

  2. A Nonymous

    Phil Guest

    For me the selection would depend on other things, given similar
    processor specs and price (I have a laptop with an XP-M processor and
    like it fine).

    o Screen
    o Memory
    o HDD capacity
    o Ports
    o Keyboard

    Phil

    Phil, Dec 29, 2003

  3. If you want good battery life (more than 90-120 minutes) I'd recommend
    you go with the Mobile processors (XP-M or P4M). While their clock
    speeds are lower, they are almost comparable to their higher-clock
    desktop siblings.

    Michael J. Astrauskas, Dec 29, 2003
  4. A Nonymous

    Paul Guest

    How does the Celeron compare with the rest as regards battery life?

    Paul.

    Paul, Dec 29, 2003
  5. A Nonymous

    Andrew Guest

    : OK, it's nearly a new year (and my birthday!) and I'm thinking of
    : treating myself to a laptop. However, I've been reading in this group
    : and on the web that laptops are notorious for overheating.

    : I don't want to get one that's going to fry after only being on for a
    : few minutes/hours so I'd be grateful for some advice.

    : I don't want to spend more than 800 GBP and am looking for processor
    : speeds around the 2.2-2.6 GHz mark. It'll be used for all sorts of
    : apps but one of the main uses I'll be wanting to put it to is MP3
    : DJing (with an external sound card).

    : The options for processors seem to be:

    : Intel Celeron
    : Intel P4-M
    : AMD Athlon XP-M

    You forgot the Intel Pentium M (not to be confused with the Pentium 4-M).
    Pentium M is the most important part of the Centrino package. Pentium
    M's biggest advantage is its low power consumption/long battery life.
    A Pentium M laptop should run very cool vs. one of the desktop CPU's.

    Don't be dissuaded by the lower frequency that Pentium M runs at - it
    is more efficient at a lower clock speed than Pentium 4 or Celeron. A
    1.7GHZ Pentium M on average will perform about as well as a 2.2-2.4GHZ
    Pentium 4, give or take a little depending on the software.

    : The laptops I'm looking at at the moment are:

    : Colossus XP2200 (2.2 GHz AMD XP-M) from The Computer Shop at 600 GBP
    : Acer Aspire 1352XC (2.2 GHz AMD XP-M) from Insight at 690 GBP
    : Compaq Presario 2504 (2.6 GHz Intel Celeron) from PC World at 800 GBP

    : Any comments, suggestions or other recommendations would be most
    : appreciated.

    I have a Toshiba 1415 with a 2GHZ Celeron and it works fine. CPU
    performance has never been an issue. It does not run that hot, but a
    2.6GHZ system will probably run hotter. Unless you really need every
    last bit of CPU performance, a Celeron will work just fine.

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew, Dec 29, 2003
  6. A Nonymous

    A Nonymous Guest

    Fair point. I guess what I should have said that, all other things
    being equal, which of those processors is best suited to running for
    prolonged periods of time inside a laptop.

    Robbie

    A Nonymous, Dec 29, 2003
  7. OK, it's nearly a new year (and my birthday!) and I'm thinking of
    What are GBP?

    Is this something similar to Caury shells?
    Not before end of 2004.
    Oh, You talked about this ancient processor generation,
    where only the GHz had been impressive.

    And I thought You want a real fast notebook.

    When You are satisfied with this slow old CPUs

    Notebook Acer Travelmate 663 LMI 512 MB RAM
    1.6 GHz Pentium-M...............................4:35

    Notebook Acer Travelmate 802 LMI 512 MB RAM
    1.5 GHz Pentium-M...............................4:54

    Notebook Acer Travelmate 800 LCI 512 MB RAM
    1.3 GHz Pentium-M...............................5:25

    Desktop 512 MB RAM
    Ahtlon +2500........................................7:06

    Notebook Acer Travelmate 634 LCI 512 MB RAM
    1.8 GHz mobile Pentium 4M..................7:14

    Desktop 512 MB RAM
    Athlon +2000........................................7:30

    Notebook Gericom Hummer Advanced 512 MB RAM
    Athlon +2500........................................8:11

    Notebook 512 MB RAM
    Athlon +1500.......................................12:40

    Notebook Gericom Silver Seraph 256 MB RAM
    mobile Celeron 500..............................33:11

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Roland_M=F6sl?=, Dec 30, 2003
  8. The options for processors seem to be:
    This are not mobile processors, becaue they are above 30 W
    So this are only so called "mobile"

    It's better to take a real mobile AND faster processor
    The Pentium-M

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Roland_M=F6sl?=, Dec 30, 2003
  9. A Nonymous

    P.T. Breuer Guest

    Pounds British Great.

    What are Caury shells?

    Hmm - oh, in laptops. Yes.

    Your desktop athlon +2500 is nearly twice as slow as your acer 1.6GHz
    Pentium-M? Hmm. Curious. What's the explanation? The P-M does lots of
    peephole optimization. Can it be that you used a code which had been
    compiled without optimization?

    That's strange too. It should be only 3 times as slow as the machines
    in the 1500MHz range. Is the ram the limiter? Does your application
    push it into swap with 256MB of ram? I would guess so.

    I would also generally have expected at least the slimline notebooks to
    be twice as slow as desktops of equal specs, because I would have
    expected some buses to have been made half as wide. But it's ipossible
    to know unless one tries. That may be the explanation for the athlons
    notebook behavior, in some cases. Or it may be as I suggested that you
    have an unoptimised code, and both the P4(M) and the Athlon are not
    doing flying optimization, so the P-M wins.

    You should be able to test by trying desktop machines with P3 and P4 in
    them.

    Peter

    P.T. Breuer, Dec 30, 2003
  10. Thank you for the correction. I did indeed mean the Pentium-M and not
    the Pentium 4-M.

    Michael J. Astrauskas, Dec 30, 2003