Seeking recommendations for light weight laptop

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by NoName, Dec 2, 2007.

  1. NoName

    NoName Guest

    I am planning to buy a laptop on E-Bay. I don't need the very latest,
    fastest, computer, so buying a model that's two or three years old
    will work fine. Price matters, which is why I am going the E-Bay
    route.

    The challenge is knowing which models to look for -- you can get
    flooded with listings. So, I am seeking the following:

    Recommendation for brand(s) and model(s) of laptop computers that
    were:
    1. Out within the past one to three years
    2. Fairly light -- preferably in the 2.5 to 5 lb range, the lighter
    the better

    Obviously, I prefer a Pentium class machine (do they make anything
    else these days?). Would also prefer a CD/DVD drive (I gather some of
    the very lightest models omit this). Battery life is not crucial. I
    do need at least two USB ports, would prefer three or four. WiFi is
    not needed. Other preferences: Can support at least a 40 Gig drive
    and at least 512 MBytes of Ram.

    Thanks in advance for all replies.

    NoName, Dec 2, 2007

  2. NoName

    BillW50 Guest

    In NoName typed on Sun, 02 Dec 2007 05:17:25 GMT:
    What is your price range? For example, I bought a one year old Gateway
    MX6124 with a dark screen for 200 bucks. But they sold for $1200 plus
    brand new just last year. And Computer Geeks told the seller that it
    wasn't worth fixing. And I bought it and I replaced the inverter for 10
    bucks (on eBay). Works great. Although working ones on eBay goes for in
    the $300-$350 range. These also has 4 USB ports, 512MB RAM (expandable
    up to 2GB) and a S-Video out too. But they have a Celeron M (1.5GHZ),
    which some would complain about. I also bought one of these last year. I
    think they are great. Be careful of going too old. As older laptops are
    really slow.

    BillW50, Dec 2, 2007

  3. NoName

    NoName Guest

    Planning to spend no more than $350 on E-bay. Does that help?

    NoName, Dec 2, 2007
  4. NoName

    BillW50 Guest

    In NoName typed on Sun, 02 Dec 2007 18:16:11 GMT:
    Yup, it helps. You should be able to get a real nice one. Careful
    though, 8 year old laptops can go as much as $200 on eBay still. I think
    they are getting those prices because there is enough people out there
    that doesn't know those laptops just isn't really worth that much. Or at
    least shouldn't be worth that much anyway.

    BillW50, Dec 2, 2007
  5. NoName

    Rohit Guest

    Can any one tell me please, old laptop is bater or latest laptop? and
    here is any good and cheap price if I buy online or batter to buy any
    showrooms?
    Thanks!

    Rohit, Dec 3, 2007
  6. NoName

    iws Guest

    How about this on ebay? http://tinyurl.com/2q9clf I have a later model
    stepnote and am quite happy with it. You might want to avail yourself of the
    ebay extended warranty for any laptop you get.

    iws, Dec 3, 2007