    the 200 Gig Seagate drive as 200 Gigs. When loading Windows XP, it only
    sees the drive as 137 or so Gigs. It doesn't see the full 200 Gigs. How do
    I fix this?

    Eric, Nov 22, 2007

  2. Eric

    Paul Guest

    Is your WinXP CD, an original that lacks Service Pack 1 or Service Pack 2 ?

    What you can try, is slipstreaming SP1 or SP2, and preparing a new install
    CD. Autostreamer is one program you can use to do this. I made a Win2K SP4
    installer CD, by using this program. (The site I got Autostreamer from,
    is gone now.)

    http://majorgeeks.com/download4444.html

    For more info, on the IDE drive limit issue, see this document.
    (I don't recommend using a DDO to solve the problem, for best
    compatibility later with whatever disk utilities you use.)

    http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/tp/137gb.pdf

    This is what they changed on IDE, to make larger disks possible.
    They write to the registers twice, to pass more operands, and
    allow larger addresses to be used.

    http://www.t10.org/t13/technical/e00101r6.pdf

    SATA came after that stuff, so shouldn't have the same problems.
    I think native SATA support, comes with SP1.

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 22, 2007

  3. Eric

    Glasspider Guest