Selection of 32bit cpu

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Rene Tschaggelar, Nov 14, 2003.

  1. I'm in the process of evaluating a 32bit cpu.
    The requirements are somewhat conflicting.
    -The required tools should be useable after a rather short time,
    meaning I'm not too keen on debugging some open source tools first
    -The tools should have a responsive support, a newsgroup is prefered,
    and a listserver accepted. Personal email and webbased one-to-one
    support is considered not fast enough.
    -floatingpoint can be hardware or not, best when there is a choice
    between code compatible devices.
    -DSP or microcontroller, is not decided yet
    -Flash and RAM in the same chip are preferred.
    -An emulator is not required
    -Sourcelevel single stepping by JTAG welcome

    I'm aware of :
    Atmel's ARM
    AD's Blackfin, Sharc, Tigersharc, DSP
    TI's TMS series
    Intel's iAPX386 compatible

    though except the last haven't any experience in them
    nor their tools.
    Oh, I forgot, a few years ago, I had a project with a TI 320C62xx and
    wasn't impressed at all by the code composer studio.

    Did I forget something ?
    I'll focus on the available tools, as they tend to decide the
    useablility of a processor and have the most influence on the
    development time of a project.

    Recommendations ?

    Rene

    Rene Tschaggelar, Nov 14, 2003

  2. I'm in the process of evaluating a 32bit cpu.
    If you go with an ARM processor, then you'll find that most large
    compiler vendors like Green Hills support that.
    AT91FR40162 will have 2 MB Flash and 256 kB RAM in the same package.

    Ulf Samuelsson, Nov 17, 2003