sempron question

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by [C] hicken [G] od, Feb 9, 2005.

  1. its been a while since i last checked the latest in hardware but is
    sempron better than athlon?

    [C] hicken [G] od, Feb 9, 2005

  2. [C] hicken [G] od

    Arno Wagner Guest

    I think it is a cripled athlon, similar to a celeron.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Feb 10, 2005

  3. is there a faq for the sempron? im thinking of building a new box. not
    sure if im going with athlon or sempron. any particular advantages of
    the sempron vs athlon?

    [C] hicken [G] od, Feb 10, 2005
  4. [C] hicken [G] od

    Arno Wagner Guest

    It is cheaper. As most low-performance, low-cost solutions are.
    Unfortunately CPUs are a moving target and an FAQ written today
    would be outdated tomorrow. Bets to read tests on sites like
    tomshardware to get an idea about the details.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Feb 10, 2005
  5. [C] hicken [G] od

    dawg Guest

    The 3100 is the only 64 bit chip in the sempron family. It is a great cpu
    for the money. comparable to an A64 2800+.

    dawg, Feb 16, 2005
  6. [C] hicken [G] od

    dawg Guest

    OOps. made a mistake here. 64 bit is disabled on the 3100 sempron. It does
    have the on-die memory controller and it's the only 754 pin sempron. Still a
    very goo deal.

    dawg, Feb 17, 2005
  7. [C] hicken [G] od

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Seems this is a more complicated question than I thought. Sorry
    for my initial misstatement.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Feb 17, 2005